Q. How to bring down my daughter's SGPT level?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 09, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 29, 2020

My daughter is 8 years old. She is suffering from jaundice for the past four months. Presently, as per her blood test, bilirubin 0.40 mg/dL, conjugated bilirubin 0.10 mg/dL, unconjugated bilirubin 0.30 mg/dL and ALT (SGPT) 57.00 U/L. The medicines she had been prescribed are Junior Lanzol 15 mg capsule 30 minutes before lunch and dinner, Ursokem 150 mg tablet 30 minutes before lunch and dinner and Cynobac tablets 30 minutes before lunch and dinner. She is having boiled vegetables, rice, fish and egg white. In spite of taking these medicines, her ALT (SGPT) is not coming back to normal. Please suggest the way to bring her ALT (SGPT) normal.

#

• To add to your knowledge, SGPT is a marker of inflammation of the liver (serum glutamic-pyruvate transaminase).
  • Whenever there is some damage to the liver, the SGPT will rise along with serum bilirubin levels.
  • During healing of the liver, the SGPT levels slightly raise followed by a fall in bilirubin levels and consequently fall in SGPT levels.
  • Your daughter's SGPT levels are borderline high. Hence, you do not have to worry.
  • The treatment and diet going on are perfect. There is no change required. The SGPT shall come to normal in a month or so.
  • Always, if the clinical condition of the patient is good and improving, then not much emphasis is given to the reports. Eventually, we treat the patient and not the reports.

For further information consult a child health specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/child-health-specialist

| 

Why is my SGOT and SGPT raised after chickenpox?

Query: Hello doctor, I had chickenpox one month back and my SGOT is 178 and SGPT is 251 now. Elastography is 5.3 kPa, ANA is 13.74, IgG is 2145, serum ceruloplasmin is 24.90, hepatitis E antibody IgM is 0.09, bilirubin total is 0.40, bilirubin direct is 0.10 and no fever, urine white, no weakness, and the ...  Read Full »

Although urine tests are negative, why am I having pregnancy symptoms?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 11 days late for period. My husband had snip two years ago. I am having pregnancy symptoms although the tests are negative. What could be the problem? Thank you.  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask a Child Health Specialist Now