Q. What causes joint pain with stiffness?

Dr. Anuj Gupta

My height is 169 cm and weight is 95 kg. I am 50 years old, male. For the past three months, I am experiencing stiff fingers joint and pain in the outer ridge of the foot in the morning when I get up. Fingers become fine after some time but pain stays in the foot. This is coming on and off and frequency is increasing now. My work involves mostly working on computer and sitting job. Please advice future course of action and if any diagnosis is suggested? What it could be?

Do you have a question on Joint Pain or Osteoarthritis?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Anuj Gupta

MBBS., MS., DNB., MRCS
Orthopedics And Traumatology

Well for fingers, it could be osteoarthritis because at your age this is something which is most common and it also has morning stiffness. In your foot, it is plantar fascitis. So for treatment, you have to do finger gripping exercises. For that, you can buy a smiley ball and do exercises 15 minutes twice a day. Along with that take tablet Cartigen Forte 1 tablet twice a day for three months.

For foot, get ultrasonic therapy done from any nearby physiotherapy center. Do plantar fascia stretching exercises. Hot fomentation. Hopefully, it will get better in 4 to 6 weeks.

Do I have osteoarthritis?
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 24 year old female. My BMI is normal. I am fairly active on my feet all day because of work and I used to walk instead of transport. I was a lot more active when I was younger. I used to dance for roughly 20 hours a week and swim five hours a week. Since I have got older and due to...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It does seem like osteoarthritis, but I would suggest ruling out rheumatological diseases as well and check vitamin D and repeat it. For your shoulder I would like to know how much is your range of motion.  Read Full

Prevention of Joint Pain in Old Age
Article Overview: Joint pain in old age is a major concern that should not be ignored. Most of us suffer from knee pain or back pain after an age. If we follow simple measures in daily routine then most of these conditions can be prevented.  Read Article
Dr. Tiwari

Knee joint pain and backache especially in the lumbar region is a very common problem. Almost every one suffers from these problems in life either because of unhealthy lifestyle or some disease. In most cases, these are preventable and treatable, but due to lack of knowledge most people suffer from ...  Read Article

Why am I having joint pain?
Query: Hello doctor, I have pain in the joints.  Read Full >>
Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your post, you have not mentioned which joints are paining and whether you have swelling of joints also. Your vitamin D level is low (attachment removed to protect patient identity) so you need to start taking supplements for it (capsule Lumia 60k) onc...  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now