Q. Why am I having joint pain and swelling after fever?

Dr. Anshuman Srivastava
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 13, 2016 and last reviewed on: Dec 28, 2020

I am a 40 year old female. My weight is around 75 kg and height is 5 feet. I had fever about four months back for two days. Then, I started suffering from joint pain and swelling. I took some medicine, but there was no long-term effect. Currently, I am taking NAC 100 SR, a painkiller. For two days, I have been having severe pain and swelling in both my knees and due to which I am unable to move around. What do you suggest?

#

• This year we saw a surge in chikungunya cases. As you are having pain post the fever episode, it seems to be that. But, it is necessary to rule out other possibilities like rheumatologic conditions.
  • I suggest you to get antinuclear antigen (ANA), Rh factor and C-reactive protein test. If they are negative, then you need not worry as the pain is most likely due to post viral chikungunya syndrome.
  • Also, get an x-ray of knee joint in anteroposterior and lateral view along with the vitamin D3 levels test. Vitamin D deficiency can lead to prolonged symptoms.
  • I suggest you to start tablet Etoricoxib 90 mg twice for three days and then once a day. Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.

For further information consult a general medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

|