Q. Why ketogenic diet should not be taken for long term?

Published on Nov 11, 2019 and last reviewed on: Nov 14, 2019

Why ketogenic diet should not be done long term? Why it is not a good idea to follow a ketogenic diet for the long term and what are the potential negative effects on the body by following a ketogenic diet for the long term? Please comment.

Hematology Pathology
#

Welcome to the icliniq.com.

The opinion regarding keto diet varies from many studies. The ketogenic diet or low carbohydrate diet is helpful in weight reduction and should be done under trained nutritionist guidance. Self keto diet experience is not advisable. Although it is useful, the long term keto diet is not advisable as per my opinion. In keto diet, carbohydrate is not used as its intake is very less. The body will use the fat directly for metabolism and so ketone bodies can form. It can lead to ketosis in a diabetic patient and very rarely in normal person. Some study suggests that ketosis not harmful. But as per my opinion, it is better not to the take risk and avoid long-term keto diet. Keto diet can lead to diarrhea as well. Rather, you can take a balanced diet and do exercise.

Does rapidly declining memory mean Alzheimer's disease or vascular dementia?

Query: Hello doctor, My father is experiencing rapidly declining memory and cognitive function. He was taken to the hospital a year back due to confusion and memory loss and was treated for diabetic ketoacidosis and had a quadruple bypass performed. They also did various scans and MRIs and found nothing t...  Read Full »

Which food can be taken while having stomach flu?

Query: Hello doctor, What are some foods or liquids that you can eat when you have or are recovering from the stomach flu? Kindly tell the foods that are easy to digest and give a nice boost of energy or nutrients.  Read Full »

Ask a Nutritionist Now