Q. Will I be able to pass the stones naturally by consuming a lot of fluids?

Dr. Samer S J Altawil

I have kidney stones in my right kidney, and there are totally three stones in my kidney 5.0 mm, 3.8 mm, 3.3 mm, and mild right hydroureteronephrosis is seen due to calculus in the right distal urethra measuring 3.4 x2.3 mm located just above the vesicoureteric junction.

Kindly suggest.

Thank you

#

Thanks for consulting.

A 24-year-old male with right renal stones and distal ureteric stone causing a mild obstruction.

The pain, if any, is caused due to blockage to the kidney by the ureteric stone. A kidney function test (serum creatinine level) is required to check on kidney functions. Treatment is by tablet Tamsulosin 0.4 mg once at night for four weeks. Hopefully, it can reduce the pain and relax the ureter to facilitate the passage of the obstructing stone. Further investigations are indicated as the risk of stone formation is high investigations that include a blood test for calcium, phosphate, uric acid levels, then 24 hours urine sample collection for calcium, phosphate, uric acid, and oxalate citrates, and magnesium levels. After the passage of the ureteric stone, further treatment will be after a CT scan by shockwave lithotripsy to clear the rest of the stones.

Please follow-up with reports to prevent further stone formation.

If you have any more queries, please do not hesitate to ask.

Kind regards.

Thank you for the advice.

Will I be able to pass the stones naturally by consuming a lot of fluid intakes? Is the kidney swelling due to calculus is normal?

#

The swelling of the kidney is abnormal.

Stone will pass spontaneously with hydration and Tamsulosin. Out of 100 people, 90 pass it.

Kind regards.

|