Q. After a fall, my daughter has got knee injury with difficulty in stretching. Can this be fracture?

Dr. Bhanu Tej

My daughter went ice skating last month and she fell a few times but she was able to stand up and skate again. The next day, saw bruises on her legs especially the knee area but that disappeared after a few days. She mentioned that she still feels some pain but she can walk, move around and jump with it so I thought it is fine. However, recently, I noticed that she cannot stretch it to its maximum. Although she can move around with it, she says there is still a pain when she stretches it too much. What do you think is the problem? It is not broken, right? We cannot have it x-rayed due to lockdown.

#

If she is able to walk putting her full weight, she might not have a major fracture. But I want to ask you a few more questions to come to a conclusion.

Is there any swelling around the knee now? Is there any history of massaging it every time she fell? Is she able to straighten out her knee completely now?

Probable causes here can be some joint fluid in her knee which is causing an inability to stretch completely. If she is limping now also, if she is complaining of pain with every step, we should think of any ligament injury. Or else if she does not have any pain on walking, do not worry she does not have any fracture.

She can put weight on the leg if she needs to but she chooses not to because of pain. When she walks, she put more of her weight on the other leg not injured and she has no complain of pain in every step. She can straighten it completely but the opposite side of the knee cannot reach the floor, as compared to the other leg, because of the pain. I cannot remember her massaging it every time she falls. Though the pain is not constant, it appears only if she stretch it too much.

#

Is there any swelling around the knee?

No swelling around the knee. I compared it to the other knee but looks the same. No bruises as well.

#

Repeated bruises can damage the muscles around the knee, especially if it is on backside of the knee. If she does not have any fever do not worry. Please follow my advice.

1. Apply local cold ice packs.

2. Gradual stretching of knee muscles. You can check on youtube for hamstring stretching exercises.

3. Please do not massage when she falls or injuries her knee in the future.

4. Please use protective gear around the knee, so that it does not get hurt when she falls while skating.

5. Tablet Ibuprofen 400 mg twice daily after food if she has pain.

You can take this tablet for five days now. Tablet Ibugesic plus 400 mg twice daily after food for five days, Pantop 40 mg (Pantroprozole) once daily on empty stomach for five days.

What do you think is the problem? Is it related to muscles or bone problem? Does the ice pack still work even if it happened a month ago but the pain is still there? For how many days do I need to apply the cold compress? For this kind of injury, how long does the healing takes place?

#

Repeated bruising could cause muscle injury. More likely it is a muscle injury. Do not worry, give some rest. Apply ice packs if she has pain. Soft tissue injury like muscle, ligaments will take around two to three months if taken proper rest. But if we continue to stress our knees with the same activity it will take longer.

Do stretching exercises. If the injury is old maybe a month or two we should apply heat pack. If the injury is recent, I mean immediately after injury we should apply an ice pack.

| 

I have a severe knee pain and cannot walk without limping. What it could be?

Query: Hello doctor,I have been having severe pain in my left knee for roughly three days now. It is on the inside of the knee and slightly behind the knee cap while standing and with my leg straight. When it is bent, it is on the outside of the knee too. I cannot put any weight on it, cannot walk properly...  Read Full »

Please suggest some painkiller for my back pain.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 25 year old female, who is suffering from severe back pain. I am a teacher and have a 7 months old child. When I am at work, I have back pains at the end of the backbone, on the right side over the kidney. I got an ultrasound and an x-ray of the back. And I do not have any kidney s...  Read Full »

Will multi-ligament knee injury likely to cause foot drop in later years?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a chronic onset of symptoms of foot drop, diagnosed by podiatrist last month. I would like to know if this could be caused by the original knee injury, which was diagnosed as a severe multi-ligament knee injury. Is it possible for a severe multi-ligament knee injury, with a c...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now