iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersOrthopedician and Traumatologyknee injuryI cannot kneel as my knee hurts. Please help.

After a fall, my knee hurts when I kneel. Is there anything to worry?

After a fall, my knee hurts when I kneel. Is there anything to worry?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Answered by

Dr. Atul Prakash

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At June 7, 2018
Reviewed AtAugust 3, 2023

Patient's Query

Hi doctor,

I fell on a cement sidewalk about two months ago, and my knee is still bruised. Although it does not hurt while doing normal activities, it hurts tremendously when I kneel or when I accidentally brush my knee against anything. Please help.

Answered by Dr. Atul Prakash


Welcome to icliniq.com.

You described that the pain gets worse on kneeling (direct pressure), which means two or three things:

  1. Following the fall, you may have either have had a bone bruise, which is still tender to touch.
  2. A subperiosteal hematoma, which can be quite tender.
  3. Or you may have damaged a nerve that may now be irritable. Localized nerve swelling is tender too.
  4. I suggest you try the following:

    1. Try icing the area 15 to 20 minutes at a time, 3 to 5 times a day to desensitize the area.
    2. Apply a local NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) gel.
    3. Finally, seek the help of a physiotherapist to get local ultrasound therapy to desensitize the area.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Atul Prakash
Dr. Atul Prakash

Orthopedician and Traumatology

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Orthopedician and Traumatology

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy