Q. Due to knee injury, I am unable to sleep. Please suggest an orthosis that helps in this condition.

Dr. Sivasankar Reddy

I have some sort of knee injury. I got this injury accidentally when I did twisting on a treadmill. It hurts a lot when I twist the knee during sleep. I tried applying Capsaicin gel, used a stretch bandage and it gets reduced when I keep the knee in a pillow. But it makes me hard to sleep. I would like to use some orthosis or brace that allows me to change my position during sleep without inducing knee pain. What kind of injury do I have? What kind of orthosis would help me? I am attaching the picture and it is my right knee.

#

You have a history of twisting injury with pain and swelling in the right knee. You can have a ligamentous or meniscus injury or contusion in the knee. Please mention some more information about the incident, do you have any instability while climbing the stairs, do you have a locking or a cracking sound while bending your knees, and your mobility status at present. If you do not have instability or locking, you need to give some time for the swelling to get reduced, and automatically the pain will get reduced. Avoid bending knees beyond sixty degrees. Try to use ice packs and a knee immobilizer large. If your pain persists with symptoms for more than a month, you need to do an X-ray and MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) scan.

This incident happened before a month. It got resolved after using a compression bandage. Now it reappeared before a week and I have a hard time for the past three days. I did a walk on the treadmill at a low speed before five days, moved some heavy groceries, and moved in stair a few times. My pain got increased after doing these activities.

I do not have much instability and I have pain in the front knee cap and at back above the knee cap. Sometimes I have a twitching sound and I have pain while standing. I can able to move but I used a crutch. I tried using an ice pack and it relieves pain. But when I remove it, I have increased pain in my knee. I cannot sleep at night due to this knee pain. If I sleep on the side, the leg bends and the knee hurts a lot. So I tried to sleep in the back position and it is tiredsome. For this reason, I need some immobilizer. Please help me to choose the right one. I am attaching the pictures of it.

#

You can use the third one shown in the attached files (attachment removed to protect patient identity). This immobilizer restricts bending of knees during sleep. If the pain persists after a week, try to do an X-ray and MRI.

Thank you so much.

#

You are welcome.

|