Q. How to overcome knee and hamstring discomfort causing difficulty in walking?

Dr. Lokesh

I have some discomfort in my right knee and hamstrings. A few days back, I realized that my right knee could not be straightened fully after my workout. When I straighten it, the right side of a particular muscle or tendon seems to hurt a lot, and it feels like the muscle above my kneecap and below or under my quadriceps hurt a lot. It feels like it is swollen, but I see no physical inflammation. It is particularly worst after I wake up. I sometimes have issues walking up and down the stairs after sitting too long. Please help.

#

I understand your concern.

I suggest the following tablets,

Tablet Ibuprofen 400 mg twice daily for ten days after food.

Tablet Rabeprazole 20 mg once daily for ten days before food.

Tablet Shelcal (Calcium) 500 mg once daily for 30 days before food.

Tablet vitamin D (60 K) once daily for ten days, then once a month, and for 11 months.

Kindly consult with your specialist before taking the medications. Do not take these tablets if you are a known bronchial asthmatic patient. Follow up immediately in case of any untoward reactions.

Activities that cause pain should be avoided temporarily. If the knee is swollen or sore, the following positions and activities should be avoided until knee pain and swelling resolve,

1. Squatting.

2. Kneeling.

3. Twisting and pivoting.

4. Jogging.

5. Aerobics, dancing.

6. Playing sport.

7. You should wear a knee cap for support to the knee joint, wear it all day, and you can remove it at night.

8. Apply ice packs twice daily for 15 mins each.

It would help to get your X-ray of both knee joints anteroposterior (standing) and lateral views. Do the X-rays and upload them for accurate advice.

|