Q. Injection for knee pain cause relief only for sometime. Kindly suggest treatment for permanent relief.

Dr. Atul Prakash

I am writing this on behalf of my mother. She is 60 years old and weighs about 86 kg.

Her complaint is very extreme pain on the knee (left leg). This issue started one year ago and we consulted orthopedics who applied an injection on her knee after verifying an x-ray report and prescribed a couple of tablets. Doctor said it is a kind of arthritis. There was some relief after that visit.

My mother again started facing the same problem since last month. Pain is so extreme from inside the knee that she cannot even move her left leg. Her right leg is fine. Kindly prescribe some relief and treatment plan.

Please find the written X-ray reports for your understanding:

X-ray both knee joints:

- Marginal osteophytes are seen.

- Tibial spines are prominent.

- Mild reduction of the medial tibiofemoral joint.

- Patellar sour is seen.

- No loose bodies are seen in the joint cavities.

- No soft tissue swelling is seen around the joints.

Impression: Osteoarthritis.

Note: She is not taking any medicine for the above issue for the past one year. However, she is taking tablets for anxiety, blood pressure, and diabetics.

#

Your x-rays show (attachment removed to protect patient identity), grade 2-3 arthritis (4 is worst) in both knees, however, the x-ray picture does not always match with the clinical symptom as is in your case.

I will recommend that you take a course of anti-inflammatory tablets like Diclofenac 100 mg SR once a day after meals, Pantoprazole 40 mg before meals, tablet Ultracet (Paracetamol and Tramadol combination) maximum twice daily for pain.

Apply Dynapar gel (Linolenic acid and Paracetamol) locally four to five times a day. Ice the knee 10-15 minutes when the spray is not applied that is there had to be a gap of 45 minutes between the ice and spray and vice versa. If you have access to physiotherapy then Tens (transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation) therapy will help too.

| 

Why am I getting knee pain even with simple activity?

Query: Hi doctor,I am a 27 year old male. My weight is 85 kg and height is 179 cm. About 2 years ago, I participated in a half marathon. On that day, I started feeling pain in both knees above the patella. I think in quadriceps tendon. I followed RICE and the pain went off. But, after that, whenever I do s...  Read Full »

I have a severe knee pain and cannot walk without limping. What it could be?

Query: Hello doctor,I have been having severe pain in my left knee for roughly three days now. It is on the inside of the knee and slightly behind the knee cap while standing and with my leg straight. When it is bent, it is on the outside of the knee too. I cannot put any weight on it, cannot walk properly...  Read Full »

Osteoarthritis of Knee

Article Overview: This is a patient information article on wear and tear in knee joint. It gives information regarding understanding of osteoarthritis of knee its causes, prevention and methods of treatment available. Read Article

Dr. Mohan Krishna

Osteoarthritis can affect any joint in the body. It is like wear and tear which develops over many years. It is common in people over 50 years of age, particularly in women. Both knees need not to be affected at the same time. The cartilage gradually roughens and becomes thin exposing the underlyin...  Read Article

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now