Q. Is it fine to exercise with knee pain?

Dr. Atul Prakash

I am a 24 year old female. My height is 5'5" and weight is 58 kg. I am a cyclist and, to a lesser extent, a runner. For the past one week, I have been getting pain in the back of my left knee. It hurts when I walk and not just doing sport. It is the movement of pushing off from the ground that makes it hurt, and when I straighten my leg to full extension. Is it fine to continue with exercise?

Dr. Atul Prakash

Fitness Expert Orthopedics And Traumatology Physiotherapy Spine Health
#

• From your description, it appears that you may have anterior knee pain which sometimes presents as pain at the back of the knee.
  • The second possibility is that you have over done your exercise and hamstrings are sore and the lower end of the knee cap is inflamed.
  • Either way, you should rest and ice the area of pain and give it time. I suggest you add NSAIDs (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) for a week for an additional anti-inflammatory action.

For further information consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

|