Q. Kindly give your suggestion about my knee pain.

Dr. Biswajit Das
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 24, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am 31 years old. My body weight is 72 kg and height is 5'8". I have a pain just behind the knee for the last five months and I feel it while standing from sitting position. If I sit on legs, then I feel stiffness in the back of the knee. Also, I cannot stand properly for more than a few minutes. Here, my local doctor took the blood sample for ESR and CBC. He said everything is fine. My uric acid is 6.30 mg/dL. There is no complication in my x-rays. He prescribed me the following medicines. Etorvel 90, Vitamin D3 (60,000 IU) once in a week and Uristat I have been taking all these for the past three days. But, still my problem persists. Kindly suggest your opinion.

Dr. Biswajit Das

Orthopedics And Traumatology
#

• As per your history the problem has been long standing for around five months or more. I advise you to visit a nearest physiotherapist to start and continue knee physiotherapy.
  • If after around 4 to 6 weeks your symptoms do not improve, then my advice is to go for MRI of the affected knee for possible ligaments or meniscal lesion like cysts or any synovial changes.

Sprain of knee.

MRI knee.

1. Synovial hypertrophy.
2. Chondromalacia.

Continue physiotherapy and hot fomentation of knee thrice daily with local application of Diclofenac gel. Use a knee cap on the affected site during activity.

Avoid sporting activities, stair climbing and squatting.

Revert back with the reports to an orthopaedician and traumatologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

| 

Shall I continue the medicines that I mentioned? Or shall I stop?

Dr. Biswajit Das

Orthopedics And Traumatology
#

• Continue Etorvel 90 (Etoricoxib) once daily for another three weeks along with physiotherapy, hot water fomentation, Diclofenac gel and knee cap.
  • After three weeks stop Etorvel and continue the rest of the treatment. If pain is mild or occasional, then you can take it SOS (as and when necessary).
  • Can you send me your x-rays?

Revert back with the x-ray report to an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

| 

I have attached my x-rays for your reference. My local doctor has also prescribed me Alnacal forte, which contains Omega 3 fatty acid, Methylcobalamin, Calcitriol and folic acid. Daily morning, after toilet, I cannot stand properly as it is very much painful.

Dr. Biswajit Das

Orthopedics And Traumatology
#

• Since, it is only three days you have started medication you have to wait for another four days.
  • At the end of the first week if there is no improvement in pain or if the pain is severe, then change Etorvel 90 to Zerodol-P (combination of Aceclofenac and Paracetamol) twice daily after food for two weeks along with Pantocid-DSR once daily in empty stomach.
  • Other medications you mentioned are not important in this situation. Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.
  • You never mentioned the affected side of the knee.
  • On x-ray it appears (attachment removed to protect patient identity) your left knee medial joint space is slightly decreased. It may be the cause of your symptoms. Anyhow, it is better to go for MRI for further information about your knee.

For further information consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

| 

Yes, I have pain in both knees. But, the major problem is in the left one.

Dr. Biswajit Das

Orthopedics And Traumatology
#

Please try to get the MRI as soon as possible. Do not hesitate to revert back for further doubts.

Revert back with MRI report to an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

|