Q. My arthritic knee pain has worsened and there is edema of feet as well. Please help.

Hello doctor,

I am regularly taking 6 oz of warm water with half a slice of a medium-sized lemon and one medium spoon of honey right in the morning for the last 15 days. Whatever be the benefits, I find my arthritic knee pains have slightly increased along with edema of both feet and ankles and pain while walking. Sitting up and walking are becoming increasingly difficult. Should I stop this drink? I am taking DMARD for my ankylosing spondylitis and osteoarthritis.

#

I went through your post.

• You have mentioned that you are suffering from ankylosing spondylitis (AS) with osteoarthritis. But, you have not mentioned which DMARD (disease-modifying antirheumatic drug) you are taking.
  • Anyways, I would suggest the following. NSAIDS (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs), which are the first line of drugs for AS can cause swelling of the legs. The only drugs which are known to be effective in osteoarthritis are sustained release Paracetamol like XT Para 1 g twice daily and intraarticular steroids. Only B DMARDs (Biologic DMARDs) are effective in AS. Very few patients report an improvement with Methotrexate and Sulfasalazine.

For further queries consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

I have stopped DMARD Sulfasalazine 2 g after informing my doctor. I take only NSAID Etoshine 120-90-60 as prescribed. My question is whether taking the lemon and honey has generated excess uric acid, which has caused these symptoms.

#

• Well, that could be a cause. But, in your case, it is most likely a different issue. People over 70 years are more susceptible to NSAID-induced edema and nephritis. The best thing for you will be to take an intra-articular Triamcinolone that will settle the issue of your knees.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|