Q. What can I do to relieve knee pain?

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena

I am having knee pain. How will I manage it?

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena

Orthopedics And Traumatology Spine Surgery
#

Your knee pain could be due to many reasons but common ones are chondromalacia, pain due to knee instability, inflammation due to an underlying pathology or just degenerative joint disease, etc.

What was the cause of onset of pain in your knees and what has been the total duration of your symptoms? Apart from pain, do you also have any associated swelling, skin redness or any other local inflammation like skin warmth, etc as well? What management and investigations have been done until now by you for the existing problem?

If there is no history of any injury, and no inflammation or infection like swelling, skin redness or local warmth on touching, then I will like to advise you for conservative management initially in form of:

1. Intensive physical therapy with a focus on strengthening of quadriceps and stretching of other groups of muscles.

2. Gentle anti-inflammatory medications like Etoshine or Paracetamol for five to seven days usually helps in such cases (take according to your body's suitability).

3. Adequate calcium and vitamin D supplementation as per requirement.

4. Ice packs at home three to four times a day and see how it goes for around two weeks time.

If your condition does not improve, then we will have to get certain investigations done.

| 

What causes a ligament to push against upper artery causing pain?

Query: Hello doctor, What causes a ligament to push against upper artery causing pain?  Read Full »

How can knee pain be prevented?

Query: Hello doctor, There is dull knee pain while standing and walking for one month. What can be the cause of this?  Read Full »

Do I have osteoarthritis?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 24 year old female. My BMI is normal. I am fairly active on my feet all day because of work and I used to walk instead of transport. I was a lot more active when I was younger. I used to dance for roughly 20 hours a week and swim five hours a week. Since I have got older and due to...  Read Full »

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now