Q. What is the exact problem with my right knee?

Dr. Sumit Chawla
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 29, 2016 and last reviewed on: Feb 10, 2020

One year back, I had problem in my right knee like loose feeling, instability, slight pain, etc. When I consulted a doctor, he suggested Cartigen-Duo, Miol-OD and Acepark gel. In x-ray he found that the pain was due to cartilage damage in knee. I continued full course of medicine and after that there was no problem in knee. I have attached that x-ray report and doctor prescription here for your reference. If I walk long distance then problem starts again and it gets cure as soon as I apply that gel. However, since last week again the problem started. This time I am using kneecap for support while walking. What is the exact problem with my right knee? Should I start Cartigen-Duo and Miol-OD again? Please suggest any alternative gel as the earlier one is not available. What should be done for permanent cure of this knee problem? Can I walk long distance? What precautions should be taken for knee pain? I am looking forward for your positive reply. Thank you.

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Orthopedics And Traumatology
#

I have gone through your history as well as the images attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity) with it.

• The history points towards a diagnosis of internal derangement of knee, which means injury to the soft tissues in and around the knee providing stability to it.
  • Injury to these can cause instability of the knee and such injuries require MRI evaluation rather than a plain x-ray film.
  • There is some change in the upper part of tibia and its articular surface, but it is not clear from the x-ray.
  • There are no clinical notes regarding knee examination findings which are of utmost important now.
  • My recommendation is to get clinically examined and if possible provide clinical notes. Also get a new x-ray to know the current change as the attached one is old.
  • Lastly, I would like to know the history of injury to the knee joint either it happened while playing or any twist at the knee.
  • Is there any feeling of giving way of the knee while walking?
  • Kindly provide answers to these questions for better evaluation of your condition. After learning details I will answer your question with detail to your satisfaction.

For further information consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

| 

Thanks for the reply. That x-ray was taken a year ago when I went to doctor for my problem initially. I had an accident where I fell from cycle when I was 13 years old. In that accident right knee crashed on road resulting swelling, blood clotting and ligament damage of knee. At that time doctor plastered whole right leg for around 20 days and then it was cured. In the last 14 years, I never had any issue in that knee. Last year the problem started when I went for a long beach walking on the sand. After that I consulted doctor and the rest of the things are mentioned already. Looking forward to your suggestion and reply to earlier queries. Thank you.

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Orthopedics And Traumatology
#

• As I suggested there is a ligament injury and the old injury is also seen on x-ray. You had ACL injury (anterior cruciate ligament) during your childhood along with the fracture of tibial spine.
  • There is some component of cartilaginous changes occurring due to instability.
  • We need to see the fresh MRI and clinical examination notes. Then, I can comment on the need for surgery.

Revert back with the MRI to an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

|