Q. There is lack of concentration with negative thoughts. Why?

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

My child is 18 years old and has been preparing for the entrance exam for the past one year. He did well in some of the topics he covered but four months back, he got some negative thoughts and started complaining about less concentration. He became excited, irritated and got disturbed. With my affection and care, most of the things have gone away in three months but I still feel something wrong in comparison to his earlier nature. His sleep and food are fine. I consulted two psychiatrists and they advised the problem will go away on its own. The child was not able to give board exams and he has started studying a little. He has a fair hold on the studied topics. Now he studies very less and is afraid of giving entrance exams in which he mostly solves the questions verbally.

This is an Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the ad.

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Child Health Paediatrics Psychiatry
#

It is quite common for 18-year-olds to become stressed when preparing for school final and college entrance examinations. With appropriate care and encouragement, you can support your child to handle to stress appropriately. Kindly do not put too much pressure on him to study and excel. It can be counterproductive. If he is putting too much pressure on himself, it can lead to significant stress and affect his ability to do well in exams. Remind him that though exams are important, it is not a life or death situation.

Continue to encourage and support him to do well but also tactfully advise him that there are multiple career options available. This can help him to relax and eventually help him to do better. It is good to know that he is eating and sleeping well. Encourage him to do atleast 30 minutes exercise or physical play daily. It is time well spent, it will sharpen his memory and reduce his stress levels. If stress continues to increase, it can lead on to depression, anxiety and related emotional and behavioural problems. Do not let exams to take over the family all the time. Have fun whenever possible. Remember a relaxed mind performs better.

| 

Can masturbation cause negative thoughts?

Query: Hello doctor, I masturbate daily. I have problem of negative thoughts and going through little depression. Some links says that it is due to masturbation. I am already taking homeopathic medicine for my depression. Please suggest some medicine for depression. I am taking homeopathy medicines for the...  Read Full »

Depression - Awareness, Self-Diagnosis, and Treatment Modalities

Article Overview: Depression is among the top five causes of morbidity in today’s world. It remains largely undiagnosed and underreported because of a lack of adequate knowledge, both among the patients as well as the physicians. It is majorly characterized by the presence of a continuous sad mood, anhedonia, and easy fatiguability along with a host of secondary symptoms, which aid in quantifying the severity of the depressive disorder. So, it is the need of the hour that awareness is raised among the masses regarding this illness that is soon poised to be the number one cause of morbidity. Read Article

Dr. Ajay Singh

Depression has been recorded in the annals of history since time immemorial, but never has it assumed so much significance as it has in today’s world. With the advent of technology today, the human society is evolving by leaps and bounds with every passing day. As the saying goes that every co...  Read Article

What is the reason for having negative thoughts and vivid dreams?

Query: Hi doctor, My father is 56 years old. He is having negative thoughts and talks about deaths, has a vivid dream with severe sleepiness. He is not enjoying anything which he enjoyed before. He has short-term memory loss. He has fatigue with increased appetite. He has little issue in breathing during ...  Read Full »