Q. Can left ventricular hypertrophy occur in patients who do not have any symptoms?

and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

As a part of the annual health check-up, we went for an ECG (electrocardiogram), blood tests, and 2D (2 dimensional) Echo (Echocardiography) and were diagnosed with Concentric LVH (left ventricular hypertrophy). We hence consulted the local doctor who prescribed the below medicines:

Myoprol XL (Metoprolol Succinate), Rosuworth, and CisQlyn.

However, since the patient does not have any symptoms or issues, I wanted to have a second opinion on whether the above-prescribed medicines are required as a proactive measurement. Would you please review and let us know if any additional tests are needed to perform before using these medicines? Kindly note that the patient does not have any symptoms or any issues related to cardiac, and the test is taken only as a part of the annual health check.

#

How are your blood pressure readings in general?

It was truly a fasting sample because if not fasting, then results may not be accurately interpretable.

Your ECHO shows concentric LVH, and the usual reason for it is hypertension. So you need to monitor your blood pressure regularly, like three times a day for a week (take readings after a rest of 5 to 10 min). If BP readings are elevated, more than 130 to 140/85 to 90, then you can continue with Metoprolol XL 25 (Myoprolol brand as advised above) as advised. However, if BP readings are normal, then medications are not needed.

Your fasting blood sugar is slightly elevated, and LDL (low-density cholesterol)cholesterol is significantly elevated. You can initially try for a healthy lifestyle like avoiding fatty, oily, and high-calorie food. Have a light dinner, plenty of green vegetables, regular exercise and try to reduce some weight. Repeat fasting sugar and lipid profile after eight weeks of a healthy lifestyle, so see the response and need for medications. Alternatively, you can take Rosuworth and then stop after some time and then recheck lipid profile afterward. However, a healthy lifestyle will be a must as it will again rise after the medicine is stopped if the lifestyle is not improved. If a healthy lifestyle does not improve LDL cholesterol, then you need to be on regular medications.

You should take Vitamin D supplements, like tablet Uprise D3 60,000 units once a week with milk for eight weeks.

So, in a nutshell, you need to have Vitamin D supplements and may wait for other medications. However, you need to have a healthy lifestyle and regular activities. I hope this helps you and get back if you have any more doubts.

Thank you for your reply,

Do I need to stop the CisQlyn tablet also for another eight weeks?

#

I could not find its contents online. It might be some supplement. However, it does not appear relevant or necessary considering your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Let me know its contents if you have that tablet.

All the best.

|