Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. I have low urine flow with hesitancy. Please suggest treatment options.

Answered by
Dr. Samer S J Altawil
and medically reviewed by Dr. Vinodhini. J
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 25, 2020

Hello doctor,

I am suffering from poor urine flow and hesitancy. My USG and KFT are normal. I have attached the reports. What is the issue, and what are the treatment options?



Welcome to

I believe you have enlarged prostate causing obstruction to your flow. The size of prostate does not matter rather the shape of prostate is more important and the anatomy of prostate is well seen on the flexible cystoscopy if facility is available. You have mild symptoms of enlarged prostate.

Best is to do a serum PSA and start the tablet Tamsulosine 0.4 mg once at night. Follow up with blood test and we see how it goes. Medication will start acting after three days

I could see your reports of uroflowmetery, UDS and uss scan. All investigations showed that your bladder pressure is normal but flow is weak this indicates obstruction. After the age of 50 years normal prostate becomes occlusive but either its shape or its fibromuscular components this leads to reduced urine flow. With normal prostate size it is difficult to diagnose the cause of obstruction whether it is a median lobe of prostate causing it or a stricture in the urethra some where. Therefore I do a flexible cystoscopy for all my patients who got normal sized prostate with poor flow. Since the Q max in the uroflow is 10 ml per second then the obstruction is not really bad and you can use medications of it. As I mentioned you can take tablet Tamsulosine 0.4 mg once daily before bed time.

All patients above years of age complaining of urinary symptoms should go for blood test called PSA to role out prostate cancer. Therefore follow up with PSA and result of tablet treatment is indicated. If tablet is working well and PSA is normal then we will continue with the treatment. If you still have urinary symptoms and you are not satisfied with the medical treatment then flexible cystoscopy should be done before deciding on surgical treatment. Surgical treatment have many options like microwave therapy, fine needle ablation of prostate, TUNA, urolift, TURP or laser prostatectomy. Those surgical options will discussed later for all patients who failed medications and have occlusive prostate.

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
Please suggest Ayurveda cure for gallstone and prostate enlargement.

.. take these medicines regularly both your problems will be taken care of definitely. Chandraprabha Vati - one tablet thrice a day after food. Avipattikar churna - one teaspoon mixed with a glass of warm water and take twice daily in empty stomach....   Read full

Is an ER visit necessary for high creatinine and decreased urine output?

.. of diabetes, hypertension and chemotherapy all have contributed to the raised creatinine level. If you have urine output less than 500 ml persistently, then you may need help early. If you develop breathlessness, severe cough, fever or f...   Read full

I am urinating less in the morning when compared to later hours. Why?

.. your symptoms are normal. If bothered by frequent urination during sleep, then I suggest tablet Tolterodine 2 mg and tablet Tamsulosin 0.2 mg before going to bed for 14 days. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take treatm...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

Also Read

COVID-19 Vaccines in India
Two vaccines, Covishield and Covaxin, have been granted emergency use authorization in India. Read about these vaccines'...  Read more»
Sinusitis - Causes, Symptoms and Treatment
Sinusitis is the infection of the air cavities within the nasal passages. Normally, the healthy sinuses are filled with ...  Read more»
Asthma and Its Rising Incidence
This article explains about asthma and its causes. It also focuses on the benefits of starting early treatment to lead a...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Urologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.