Q. Can suppositories taken for hemorrhoids cause prostate enlargement?

Answered by
Dr. Samer Sameer Juma Ali Altawil
and medically reviewed by Dr. Vinodhini. J
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 14, 2020 and last reviewed on: Sep 19, 2020

Hello doctor,

I am a 54-year-old male, good health, good shape, who just got my PSA back from my doctor last week. Initially, he said my prostate felt a bit enlarged on the left side, so he ordered the test. The tests came back at 1.29. So he said all good and normal. No need to follow up with him or my urologist.

Yesterday, I used two preparation H suppositories (HC1 0.25%) and felt I had to get up earlier than usual this morning to urinate and my stream was weaker than normal. Since then, I have had my typical coffee cups and believe it is stopped (normal stream), but again, I noticed it this morning. About ten days ago, I used six prescribed suppositories for six days in a row (IC Hydrocortisone AC 25mg). My sixth and last suppository was on Sunday, and I saw my doctor on Tuesday, two days later. Can suppositories for hemorrhoids enlarge your prostate? And if so, can it affect that quickly?



Welcome to

The prostate is a male gland function to liquify semen and nourish sperms usually it starts to enlarge after the age of 50 years. I may cause obstructive symptoms or may not. The shape is more important than size as some patients with big prostate of 200 gm do not have obstruction. On the other hand, some prostates of normal size cause significant symptoms. Screening of prostate cancer also is important after the age of 50 as risk increases. But your PSA test came to be 1.29, which is reassuring it is now the symptoms of an enlarged prostate that you worry about. Suppositories do not cause an enlarged prostate. Enlargement is a normal aging process. Obstruction symptoms can be aggravated by constipation or inflammation of the prostate. Sometimes, the examination of the prostate can cause inflammation as well, which resolves in a few days to a week. My advice is to avoid constipation and observe symptoms. If they persist, you can start saw Palmetto tablets once daily. It is an herbal preparation that helps to relieve obstruction and shrink the prostate. Once every two years, PSA is also advisable.

Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any more questions. Please update me after you use the medication about the results.

Thank you doctor,

I will also start the saw Palmetto tablets. I have heard great things about them.



Welcome back to

Keep up your good fitness. You are still young and do not worry as I said enlarged prostate is normal physiological aging process and size does not matter symptoms matters. I hope you will not need more than palmetto. I am sure you will be happy with results.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
What is the role of boric acid suppositories in bacterial vaginosis?

.. acid is cheap medicine, which was used before as vaginal suppository for 10 to 14 days for chronic candidiasis. 2. Mostly it is given along with antibiotics or over the treatment can increase resistance or damage normal flora that increases risk ...   Read full

I was advised medicines after a routine prostate test, but I have no symptoms. Please suggest.

I went for my routine prostate test a couple of months ago and the result stated: PSA - 98 ng/mL ... Prostate sightly enlarged, preserved median groove, not nodular, feels rubbery ... And the rep...   Read full

I am worried about my prostate enlargement. Please help.

Hi doctor, The sudden increase in the size of my prostate from 75 g to 100 g in a year worries me ... I think you have undergone extensive prostate biopsy under general anesthesia, and the PSA l...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Coronavirus Variant Arcturus: | Omicron XBB.1.16 Variant
Arcturus is an emerging variant of the Omicron virus that causes various symptoms and spreads rapidly across the world. ...  Read more»
Adrenaline Rush - Symptoms, Causes, Effects, and How to Control
Adrenaline is a hormone responsible for fight or flight response. It is also a neurotransmitter and medicine. It is also...  Read more»
Fatty Liver - Types, Symptoms, Stages, and Treatment
The liver is the largest gland in the body. Its primary function is to process the food and drinks we consume. and filte...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Urologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.