Q. Can suppositories taken for hemorrhoids cause prostate enlargement?

Dr. Samer S J Altawil
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 14, 2020 and last reviewed on: Sep 19, 2020

I am a 54-year-old male, good health, good shape, who just got my PSA back from my doctor last week. Initially, he said my prostate felt a bit enlarged on the left side, so he ordered the test. The tests came back at 1.29. So he said all good and normal. No need to follow up with him or my urologist.

Yesterday, I used two preparation H suppositories (HC1 0.25%) and felt I had to get up earlier than usual this morning to urinate and my stream was weaker than normal. Since then, I have had my typical coffee cups and believe it is stopped (normal stream), but again, I noticed it this morning. About ten days ago, I used six prescribed suppositories for six days in a row (IC Hydrocortisone AC 25mg). My sixth and last suppository was on Sunday, and I saw my doctor on Tuesday, two days later. Can suppositories for hemorrhoids enlarge your prostate? And if so, can it affect that quickly?

#

The prostate is a male gland function to liquify semen and nourish sperms usually it starts to enlarge after the age of 50 years. I may cause obstructive symptoms or may not. The shape is more important than size as some patients with big prostate of 200 gm do not have obstruction. On the other hand, some prostates of normal size cause significant symptoms. Screening of prostate cancer also is important after the age of 50 as risk increases. But your PSA test came to be 1.29, which is reassuring it is now the symptoms of an enlarged prostate that you worry about. Suppositories do not cause an enlarged prostate. Enlargement is a normal aging process. Obstruction symptoms can be aggravated by constipation or inflammation of the prostate. Sometimes, the examination of the prostate can cause inflammation as well, which resolves in a few days to a week. My advice is to avoid constipation and observe symptoms. If they persist, you can start saw Palmetto tablets once daily. It is an herbal preparation that helps to relieve obstruction and shrink the prostate. Once every two years, PSA is also advisable.

Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any more questions. Please update me after you use the medication about the results.

I will also start the saw Palmetto tablets. I have heard great things about them.

#

Keep up your good fitness. You are still young and do not worry as I said enlarged prostate is normal physiological aging process and size does not matter symptoms matters. I hope you will not need more than palmetto. I am sure you will be happy with results.

| 

What is the best medicine to cure prostate enlargement?

Query: Hello doctor, I have the condition of enlargement of the prostate for the last over five years. I am 53 years old. I am taking capsule Urimax 40 mg once in a day and I am able to manage the condition. However, it seems that of late, my libido is negative and the sex life is absolutely zero. Though ...  Read Full »

Please suggest Ayurveda cure for gallstone and prostate enlargement.

Query: Hi doctor, I got gallstone and prostate enlargement and the PSA is 8. Abnormalities are noted in the lung parenchyma or pleura, but no pulmonary nodules seen. Also abnormalities are seen in neck and mediastinum. When I have cold, cough does not stop itself. I drink some water and I think while worki...  Read Full »

What are the causes of constipation in children?

Query: Hi doctor, My child was constipated for the past four days. Our doctor gave enema and he passed his stools. Now, again, he is suffering from constipation. What is the reason?  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»