Q. I have acute pain on the right side of right leg knee. I am not able to walk as usual.

Dr. Palanikumar Chellamuthu
Published on Oct 17, 2014 and last reviewed on: Dec 13, 2018

I have acute pain on the right side of my right knee. I am not able to walk as usual. The local doctor diagnosed it as a ligament tear. He suggested to take rest and wear a knee pad. One month is over, and there is no improvement seen yet. There is also little swelling and pain. I am not able to balance while walking. It pains when I walk. I have attached my x-ray.

Dr. Palanikumar Chellamuthu

Orthopedics And Traumatology Spine Health Spine Surgery
#

You have not mentioned your age, profession, and how you developed the pain (like after a slip or after a fall or just by itself). When you have a limp that has not settled over one month and you do not have balance when you walk then it is not normal.

You have to be personally examined, and if necessary, an MRI scan of the knee has to be done. You could have a problem in the meniscus (a washer-like structure between the bones) or the ACL, PCL, PLC, etc. (ligaments or cords that connect the two bones). These are best seen only on an MRI. Meanwhile, please continue rest, splinting, and analgesics.

| 

How can knee pain be prevented?

Query: Hello doctor, There is dull knee pain while standing and walking for one month. What can be the cause of this?  Read Full »

There is swelling even a week after a ligament tear. Should I go to the ER?

Query: Hello doctor, I tore my MCL last week and the ER doctor told me to stay off of it for at least three days. I did so, starting to use it three days later for about three hours. The swelling my foot has encountered since then has been extreme. If I elevate and do not use it for four to six hours, the ...  Read Full »

Knee Pain in Old Age - Osteoarthritis

Article Overview: Knee pain is the most common joint problem seen in older adults. Osteoarthritis is the leading cause of this. Learn more about this condition here. Read Article

Dr. Mahaveer Patil

Osteoarthritis (OA) is a chronic joint disorder in which there is progressive softening and disintegration of articular cartilage accompanied by new growth of bone at the joint margins and capsular fibrosis. Osteoarthritis may be asymmetrically or symmetrically distributed and often localized to onl...  Read Article

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now