Q. Is it a must to stop Adderall while getting anesthesia?

Dr. Amandeep Singh Sachdeva
Published on Mar 10, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jul 24, 2019

My female friend, who is 28 years old, is on Adderall for ADD and scheduled for hip surgery. Should she stop Adderall before surgery? Is there adverse interaction with anesthesia and Adderall. She had a long-term (eight months) adverse reaction to general anesthesia after surgery on the other hip last year. It appeared to be post-anesthetic cognitive dysfunction. Only recently, she has been able to function more normally. She is concerned about both these issues, and did not get a real answer from her surgeon. Is there any research to help her.

Dr. Amandeep Singh Sachdeva

Anesthesiology Pain Medicine
#

• Your friend need not stop Adderall (combination of Amphetamine and Dextroamphetamine) to get anesthesia.
  • Secondly, the only side effect that may happen is resistant hypotension due to catecholamines depletion. That can be taken care of by the anesthetist.
  • Postoperative cognitive dysfunction does not present eight months late. It presents immediately within a week or so after anesthesia.
  • Earlier dysfunction might be misdiagnosed or wrongly attributed to the anesthesia. Even if you want to avoid general anesthesia, the safest method for hip surgery is local anesthesia with a spinal epidural which we routinely do.

For further information consult an anesthesiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/anesthesiologist

What should I do for back pain that developed 2 years after C-section?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a cesarean section two years ago and I underwent regional anesthesia SAB at L3-L4 level. Now, I am experiencing discomfort and middle back pain. The pain location is where the needle was introduced. The pain is aggravated when I hunched back. Should I be worried? What should I do...  Read Full >>

Dr. Sukhdev Garg
Anesthesiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. SAB (spinal anesthesia block) is given by injecting drug in the space between the two vertebral rings. Sometimes, the needle may hit the bone as it is a blind procedure, which may cause inflammation of periosteum (covering of bone) causing back pain. You need not worry t...  Read Full

I am on Adderall for ADD and I am unable to sleep. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I have ADD and taking Adderall 20 mg twice daily. Usually, my sleep is good and rarely I may feel difficult to sleep. Also, I only take prescription when I am supposed to. But, for the past one week, I am unable to sleep. I took my sleeping pills and still just could not sleep. As till ea...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. First of all, I would like to know how long have you been taking that dose of Adderall (combination of Amphetamine and Dextroamphetamine)? It is relatively high dose. Usually, with greater than 20 mg it has less effect on ADD (attention deficit disorder) and you gain m...  Read Full

Ask an Anesthesiologist Now