Q. I have erection problem due to drug intake and sleep deprivation. Kindly help.

Dr. Samer Samer Juma Ali Altawil
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 12, 2020 and last reviewed on: Dec 31, 2020

I have never experienced ED before, but after a recent eight-day vacation where I consumed recreational drugs during this time and had sleep deprivation, I now cannot get my penis hard. Note that I am not a usual drug user, which was more of a one-off binge. However, I have had similar one-off binges a few times a year in the past. When I think about sex or watch porn, I feel aroused, but my penis does not respond and remains completely soft. I can orgasm but with a soft penis. It has been three days now since I have returned from vacation, and I feel I am still recovering, but I am worried about what damage I may have done and if this is something that can be reversed. Please help.

#

Erectile dysfunction has many causes like recreational drugs, alcohol, Amphetamines, Barbiturates, Cocaine, Marijuana, Heroin, and Nicotine. Those I think can cause it.

Maintain a good lifestyle like a healthy diet and abstinence from drugs can reverse the issue. I need you to do blood testosterone levels to make sure that you do not have a hormonal cause in addition to medication. I hope in a few days time everything will be back to normal.

Please keep your follow up and update me about your condition and the test result. Please note these medications will only be used if your problem persists and do not have hormonal causes. If you have any more queries, please do not hesitate to ask.

I have no hormonal issues as I take regular TRT. Is it possible that the drugs and sleep deprivation have changed my brain function that triggers blood release to the penis? Have you seen this before, and is it reversible or treatable? This has never happened before, and I stopped drugs several days ago.

#

As you stated that you are on TRT (testosterone replacement therapy), the level can go up and down. It i’s good to have a periodic check on your testosterone level.

Other things like drug reactions could be reversed, but it requires time as our body needs to regenerate new receptors. I would observe at the moment.

Please tell, are you are a diabetic or hypertensive, and why where you put on testosterone supplements?

|