Q. What causes foul-smelling loose stools?

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar
and medically reviewed by Dr.Lekshmipriya B

My daughter has had a loose motion for 24 hours, and last night she had a fever and mild headache but now no fever and headache, but the loose motion is still there.

Please advise me on medicine and food.

#

I can understand your concern.

1. Did she have any unhealthy food outside in the last one to two days?

2. Is there any abdominal pain?

3. Is loose motion foul-smelling?

Please reply for the above questions so that I can guide you better.

Wishing good health to your daughter. Thanks.

Thank you for the reply.

There is no abdominal pain. She has pain only while passing stools, and the loose motion is foul-smelling.

#

So the possibility of food poisoning is more likely. So we have to give antibiotics, probiotics, and other supportive treatments. Please let me know if she is comfortable with tablets, or does she only take syrup? I will suggest you the medicines accordingly.

I will be happy to help you further. Wishing good health to your daughter. Thanks.

Thank you for the reply.

She is fine with both tablets and syrup. She is 18-years-old.

#

Since she is 18 years old, there is no need for syrup.

I suggest,

1. Tablet Oson O (Ofloxacin and Ornidazole) twice daily.

2. Tablet Sporlac DS 1-1-1.

3. Capsule Enuff (Racecadotril) 1-0-1.

4. Tablet Cyclopam (Dicyclomine and Paracetamol) - for pain as and when required.

5. Electral powder - dissolve in one-liter water and finish in one day.

All for three days.

Give more curd, yogurt, and butter milk. Avoid oily and spicy food. Avoid junk food. Avoid fatty food like cheese, butter, and bread.

Thank you for the reply.

#

Welcome. Take care.

|