Q. I am 19-year-old, and I take antiepileptic drugs for epilepsy. Will this cause lack of appetite?

Dr. Bn Bhagat
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sushrutha Muralidharan

I am 19-year-old. I have epilepsy (my last seizure was on the second six months ago), taking Lamotrigine and Divalproex Sodium-ER. The main issue today is a lack of appetite. I eat small, but already stomach feels full. I ate yogurt and a cup of protein shake now feels full as if I can go the whole day today and sleep without eating again, even if I jogged for about four miles in the morning. Also, this morning after walk up was felt dizzy for about two minutes. I will be seeing my doctor only at the end of this month, hence coming here to consult now. Is there anything I can do for my appetite? Kindly give your opinion.

#

Loss of appetite could be due to many reasons. Medical conditions causing it should be ruled out. Psychological factors also decrease appetite.

These are some natural ways to stimulate your appetite:

1) Eat smaller meals frequently. Divide the large meals into smaller ones. This would increase the food intake more compared to large meals at a time.

2) Have calorie-rich foods.

3) Make a timetable for eating.

4) Have food of your choice.

5) Have prepared food that is palatable to you.

6) Do exercises (this you are already doing).

7) While having food minimize liquid intake or beverages.

8) Vitamin supplements could be added, but this should be done cautiously.

9) Sleep at the proper time during the night.

I hope this was helpful. Please get back if you further doubt.

|