Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. Is really AMH deciding factor for pregnancy?

Answered by
Dr. R Balakrishnan Menon
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 16, 2018

Hello doctor,

I am 35 years old and my wife's age is 28 years. We got married three years before. I have been experiencing erectile dysfunction for the past two years. Consulted with a couple of doctors and took medicines. But in vain. Hence we decided to go for fertility center. After consulting in a center, they advised taking few blood tests for my wife and a semen analysis for me. Reports seem fine for us. But the doctor informed that AMH level is low. Hence, she has been advised to go for IVF. But we request to consider her for IUI for few times and then we go for IVF. She agreed to go for IUI for two times. She has the regular period of 28 to 30 days and HSG report is also normal. We have also done follicle study. Please go through the reports and clarify us whether we both fit for pregnancy. Is really AMH is deciding factor for pregnancy? Kindly scrutinize the semen analysis report too. Currently, I am taking medicines for prolactin and Vitamin D.

Dr. R Balakrishnan Menon

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology


Welcome to

I have gone through the elaborate investigations performed (attachment removed to protect patient identity). In your case, I feel you must be suffering from premature ejaculation, rather than erectile dysfunction. You are not able to hold back semen for long, sometimes your erection goes even before ejaculation, maybe also some irritation or burning sensation at end of the penis after ejaculation, while passing urine after sex. Your only problem in semen is the lack of rapidly motile sperms. Usually, this is seen in males with low water intake, frequent urinary infections, renal stones, who hold back urine for long. IUI (intrauterine insemination) is not the first step. Better to have a course of antibiotics, improve the weak sperms and then go for IUI. Have:

  1. Tablet Azithromycin or Azilide or Azithral 1 gm stat (single dose before food) also for your wife.
  2. Tablet Fluconazole or Flucostat or FZ Win 150 mg stat after food.
  3. Tablet Cynomycin 50 mg or Doxycycline 100 mg twice a day for two weeks.
  4. After two weeks, have tablet Levoflox 500 mg once a day for two weeks.
  5. Apply Candiderma (Beclometasone and Clotrimazole) cream locally over the penis, moving back the foreskin twice a day for seven days.

During this one month, do not have sex, so your infection does not go to her. Use a condom if sex. After one month masturbate 2 to 3 times then have sex. This will clear the semen and sex issue. Medicines for prolactin really not needed. For your wife, the only problem is AMH (anti-mullerian hormone) in the results. Hope the test was done within first 10 to 12 days of periods. As per scans, her follicles are growing on time, so there is something wrong with results. Better have a day three or four FSH (follicular stimulating hormone) and serum AMH from a different or better center. I think the result will come normally.

For IUI,ideally, more follicles are induced. She can be given small doses of hormones and around 4 to 5 follicles are grown, they are better in health and can be triggered and ruptured using hormone injection. Then IUI can be done, of course after correcting semen only. In that case, more eggs will have a better chance with more sperms. Maybe we can discuss the corrections I have advised. I hope and feel the results will be different. You will not need IVF in that case.

For more information consult an infertility specialist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
I have erectile dysfunction and ejaculation problems. Please advise.
Is erectile dysfunction related to my thyroid disease?
What Is Premature Ejaculation?

This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

I have premature ejaculation after getting circumcised. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor,I had phimosis, so I got circumcised two years ago. But now, I have premature ejaculation after circumcision. I also have loss of sensation in my penis. Before circumcision, I enjoyed masturbating, but now I do not feel such enjoyment. What can I do? Was the decision to get circumcised wro...  Read Full »

Can I get pregnant naturally or should I go with ICSI?

Query: Hello doctor,It has been four years since we married. My husband is a little bit of tensed nature. So, he is not able to ejaculate during intercourse. While doing masturbation, he is able to ejaculate within seconds. Now, he is taking medicines for reducing anxiety. I have undergone five cycles of I...  Read Full »

Why am I having recurrent IVF failures?

Query: Hello doctor, I have had three IVF failures. Latest failure -four embryos transferred, two -day 3, two -day 5 (blastocyst with array), negative beta hCG. I want to know the reason for the failure.  Read Full »

Also Read

This article provides you with all the information that you should be knowing about miscarriage. Although this is an emo...  Read more»
COVID-19 Testing
COVID-19 testing includes analyzing patient samples to determine current or past infections with SARS-CoV-2. Read the ar...  Read more»
I feel a restlessness in my legs, which decreases my sleep quality. How to get a refreshing sleep?
Hello doctor, I cannot get refreshing sleep some days in a week, and some days it is good. I also have difficulty sleep...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Infertility Specialist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.