Q. Can my lower back pain be the result of a kidney problem?

This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 14, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jul 23, 2021

I am a 31 year old male. I have a left lower back pain for a few days. It hurts when I move, and it feels like my kidneys hurt when I walk. I do not know if this is a muscle pull or something related to my kidneys. Please advise.

#

• Lower back pain is mostly due to a muscular or spinal problem, and kidney pain is unlikely.
  • Kidney pain is a colicky type. The pain comes and goes, or it will be associated with other complaints like burning during urination, blood in urine, and fever. Local site will be painful to touch.
  • You can get an ultrasound of the kidneys and urine routine test, to rule out any kidney disease.
  • There is more possibility of a muscle strain or spinal nerve compression like disc prolapse.
  • Do you a history of trauma, back stretch, lifting heavy weight, etc?
  • You will need an x-ray of the lumbar spine, anteroposterior and lateral view. If that is not informative, then further MRI has to be done to rule out any spinal problem.
  • I would suggest you try doing the following. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start treatment with consent.
  1. Use Diclofenac gel for local application and hot water fomentation.
  2. For pain, try taking Paracetamol or Ibuprofen, whenever needed. Also try taking muscle relaxants like tablet Thiocolchicoside 4 mg, three times a day which will relax your back muscles.
  3. Avoid lifting heavy weight.
  4. Physiotherapy.
  • The majority of back pains are muscular and resolve with time.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|