Q. I have been suffering from intermittent low back pain. Is it sciatica?

Dr. Sumit Chawla
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 14, 2016 and last reviewed on: Sep 07, 2020

I am having severe pain in the lower back, more on the right side. I am not able to bend front and my right leg is aching continuously. I am suffering from back pain for last 6 to 7 years and sometimes, it is severe. I had to take bed rest for a week, but I had never taken any medicine. A few months ago, I had the same kind of pain because of lifting a bucket full of water and that time I had taken medicines. Ultracet twice in a day, Dolonex Rapid 20 mg once a day and Myoril 8 mg once a day. Now, I am facing the same problem for the last few days and since yesterday I am taking the same medicines. But, the pain has not relieved completely. Please tell me the appropriate medicine and any test if needed. One more thing I want to know is can this be a neurological case? Is it sciatica?

#

• Since you have pain restricted to your lower back with no radiation to lower limb the pain is not sciatica. In sciatica, the pain radiates from lower back to legs.
  • You could have mechanical backache or disc prolapse without any impingement on the neurological structures. MRI scan will help in making a diagnosis.
  • Currently I suggest the following treatment. Tablet Myoril (combination of Acetaminophen and Tramadol) and tablet Ultracet (Thiocolchicoside). Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent. 
  • Local application of analgesic gel over the affected region. Heat therapy to the affected area.
  • If you have access to the physiotherapist, then you can also get shortwave diathermy to lower back region.

MRI scan lumbosacral spine.

1. Mechanical backache.
2. Lumbar intervertebral disc herniation with paravertebral muscle spasm.

1. Tablet Myoril 4 mg twice a day.
2. Tablet Ultracet twice a day.
3. Local application of analgesic gel over the affected region and heat therapy for low back pain.

1. Avoid bending forward, lifting weights and any exercise at present.
2. Avoid sexual activity till resolution of pain.

For further information consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

|