Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. I have been suffering from intermittent low back pain. Is it sciatica?

Answered by
Dr. Sumit Chawla
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 14, 2016 and last reviewed on: Sep 07, 2020

Hi doctor,

I am having severe pain in the lower back, more on the right side. I am not able to bend front and my right leg is aching continuously. I am suffering from back pain for last 6 to 7 years and sometimes, it is severe. I had to take bed rest for a week, but I had never taken any medicine. A few months ago, I had the same kind of pain because of lifting a bucket full of water and that time I had taken medicines. Ultracet twice in a day, Dolonex Rapid 20 mg once a day and Myoril 8 mg once a day. Now, I am facing the same problem for the last few days and since yesterday I am taking the same medicines. But, the pain has not relieved completely. Please tell me the appropriate medicine and any test if needed. One more thing I want to know is can this be a neurological case? Is it sciatica?



Welcome to

  • Since you have pain restricted to your lower back with no radiation to lower limb the pain is not sciatica. In sciatica, the pain radiates from lower back to legs.
  • You could have mechanical backache or disc prolapse without any impingement on the neurological structures. MRI scan will help in making a diagnosis.
  • Currently I suggest the following treatment. Tablet Myoril (combination of Acetaminophen and Tramadol) and tablet Ultracet (Thiocolchicoside). Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent. 
  • Local application of analgesic gel over the affected region. Heat therapy to the affected area.
  • If you have access to the physiotherapist, then you can also get shortwave diathermy to lower back region.

Investigations to be done:

MRI scan lumbosacral spine.

Differential diagnosis:

1. Mechanical backache.
2. Lumbar intervertebral disc herniation with paravertebral muscle spasm.

Treatment plan:

1. Tablet Myoril 4 mg twice a day.
2. Tablet Ultracet twice a day.
3. Local application of analgesic gel over the affected region and heat therapy for low back pain.

Preventive measures:

1. Avoid bending forward, lifting weights and any exercise at present.
2. Avoid sexual activity till resolution of pain.

Regarding follow up:

For further information consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online.--->

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
Is it safe to take Nucoxia for a long period?

.. mentioned that you have been diagnosed as a case of mechanical back pain. Since your question is specific for Nucoxia, I can tell you that Etoricoxib is actually a COX-2 inhibitor which is definitely safer than conventional NSAIDs (non steroidal a...   Read full

Please clarify my MRI report.

I had back pain in the past, but never for this long period of time ... I had pain in my abdomen that had spread to my spine ... T...   Read full

Is my mother's leg pain sciatica or something else?

There is also pain below the knee and at the back of the leg ... Hello, Welcome back to icliniq ... Hello doctor, My 49 year old mother has a severe (sciatica-...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

Related Questions & Answers

I have left leg sciatica with a referred pain down the heel. Will surgery help?

Query: Hi doctor, I have left leg sciatica. There is no back pain, but there is a referred pain down to the heel. I have recurring flare ups once in every six to eight months. I am currently taking Advil 3200 mg per day and ice. I feel great once the Advil kicks in. I got a selective nerve block on L5-S1 b...  Read Full »

What is the best remedy for back pain?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been battling with back pain since a year. I associated this pain with a kidney stone which I had for a couple of years. I had a ureteroscopy, crushing and removal of the stone a month ago, but however the back pain still persists. An x-ray done today is attached. I had some back...  Read Full »

Which leg posture is best to avoid pain in legs?

Query: Hi doctor, I use the computer and sit 10 hours daily in the office chair since last five years. I feel pain in inner thighs sometimes. Since last few days, I have felt severe pain in both inner thighs and have taken one Voveran and Paracetamol tablet. It feels good after taking medicine or applying ...  Read Full »

Also Read

Sinusitis - Causes, Symptoms and Treatment
Sinusitis is the infection of the air cavities within the nasal passages. Normally, the healthy sinuses are filled with ...  Read more»
Asthma and Its Rising Incidence
This article explains about asthma and its causes. It also focuses on the benefits of starting early treatment to lead a...  Read more»
Parkinson's Disease: Historical Aspects and Current Treatment Approaches
This article discusses the historical aspects of Parkinsonism and, the evidence based approaches currently available for...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.