Q. I have low immune system and get bronchitis and sinusitis often. Please advice.

Dr. Albana Greca
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 20, 2018 and last reviewed on: Jul 04, 2019

I have been getting bronchitis and a sinus infection every two months. It is so bad when it happens, I am put on antibiotics, steroids medicine, plus two inhalers. My doctor is starting to say I have asthma. I am 18 years old and I have never had problems breathing, believe me, I was able to run one mile and not die of no air and nowadays when I get sick I can barely make it downstairs or laugh at a funny joke before I start coughing. After I finish my medication (this is the fourth time) I will feel better but still out of random moments I bark like a dog (coughing). What is even weirder to me is I am starting to get the same exact infection within a short period. I am talking about 11 hours this time. I went from working eight hour shift days to waking up unable to properly stand for long periods of time. I do not know it just seems strange to me. Any advice can help though.

I have a low immune system. My test for that came back with that result. As well as I have never once in my life smoked anything but as a child I did have some family smokers but nothing continuously around me. Also as a child, I did always have sinus infections a lot but I stopped getting them when I turned 16 years. Another point is my bronchitis issue started seven months back and was intermittent in every three months. I do not feel functioning until three weeks are over but yeah.

I was on Trileptal 300 mg, Wellbutrin 300 mg for past 16 years and now on probiotic, steroid inhaler, and antibiotics.

#

I have gone through your medical history carefully and understood your concern. The low immune system makes you more prone to get an infection. Sinus infection is difficult to treat sometimes. A sinus infection can be complicated by lung infection especially when severe nasal congestion.

With regards to bronchitis, from what you are explaining, it seems you have been suffering from acute asthmatic bronchitis. That might require a few days to months to completely recover. That is why inhalation medicines are also required. Bronchodilator like Salbutamol is needed to ease coughing spasms especially those you experience in the morning. Let me know your laboratory reports so I can analyze them.

For more information consult a general medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

|