Q. What causes low platelet count?

I have had blood tests done. In the past, I have had clumping platelets, then low sitting at 135 then 114 now the last two are at 103. Is that bad?

Hematology Pathology
#

The platelet clumps sometimes can give a false low count of platelet if CBC is done in automated cell counter only. So in such case, you need to investigate with platelet count by the manual method as well after peripheral smear preparation. So I suggest you investigate further with the peripheral smear examination report. You can revert back once the peripheral smear examination report is done.

The viral infection, malaria, hemolytic anemia, dengue, ITP are some of the causes. So kindly mention since how long you have persistent low platelet and at which time these three CBC was done (attachment removed to protect patient identity)?

|