Q. My dad has cancer and low sodium. Is it advisable to give him more water?

Dr. Bharat Patodiya
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 15, 2016 and last reviewed on: Dec 18, 2021

My dad has been diagnosed with aggressive mesothelioma cancer. He is very frail, and on leaving the hospital, he suffered from low sodium. He constantly asks for water, and I am unsure whether we are giving him enough to drink or giving him too much. His urine output is usually from 500 mL to 1000 mL. Is this normal? I am concerned for two reasons. If we do not give him enough water, he may get dehydrated. If we give him too much water with his condition, his lungs will get filled with water, and he will have to get drainage. Please help.

#

The water he drinks will not affect the drain output unless the heart failure component is there. However, when sodium is low, we usually restrict water intake depending on the cause of less sodium. Has he received chemotherapy? Your intake should be based on output and sodium levels. Sodium could be lower because of cancer itself. If he is too frail, it is suggested to make him comfortable.

|