Q. How to remove lung calcification?

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan
Published on Jul 29, 2017 and last reviewed on: Nov 15, 2019

I was diagnosed with pulmonary nodule calcifications in my upper lung early this year. They were not present in the same report investigations performed last year.

I want to get these removed through surgery, since they keep posing problems while applying visa and abroad work permit.

Can you please let me know the drawbacks and long term effects of having the calcifications removed through thoracoscopic surgery?

I have type 1 diabetes mellitus and I am taking Insulin for it.

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan

Allergy Specialist Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)
#

As you said, you have pulmonary nodule with calcifications in the upper lung, it suggests old infection of the lung and calcification denotes it as a benign lesion.

Any healing in our body has a tendency of getting calcified over the period of time. But, that does not mean it is something serious or surgery can permanently heal it.

Till date, there is no surgery, which is specially advised for removing these types of calcifications. Even if it is removed, there are chances of recalcification again over the time period.

There are different rules for applying for jobs overseas in different countries. The main aim is to identify any communicable lung infection, like tuberculosis, which is active to prevent spread to the other residents.

Calcified lung nodules itself are old healed lesions and not considered as a matter of rejection in any job in the absence of other symptoms of the disease. So, I cannot advise you to go ahead with any kind of surgery.

For further information consult a pulmonologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pulmonologist

Why is a MDR tuberculosis patient under treatment getting diarrhea?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother is 51 years old with DM and thyroid and is suffering from MDR tuberculosis. She is on medication for 15 months. Recently her medicine has been changed due to diarrhea. Her new medicine are Elox OZ, Rabifit DSR, Calvit 500 mg, Doxid 50 mg, Trixid-H, Petril MD, Rejunex CD3, At...  Read Full »

Can Loratadine help treat runny nose in a pregnant woman?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 33-year-old female and I am pregnant. I have a cough and runny nose for four years. I am taking Loratadine only. Kindly suggest me an antibiotic. I am currently on tablet Loratadine, tablet Aldomet and multivitamins with folic acid, and tablet Aspirin. Please help.  Read Full »

Can dog hair affect Hamman-Rich syndrome?

Query: Hello doctor, I was diagnosed with Hamman-Rich Syndrome three years ago. My only treatment is oxygen 24/7 and Albuterol with wellness checkups every six months. I am scheduled to see a new doctor next month. My question is how or if dog hair affects my condition.  Read Full »

Ask a Pulmonologist Now