Q. How to remove lung calcification?

Dr. Amolkumar W. Diwan
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 29, 2017 and last reviewed on: Nov 15, 2019

I was diagnosed with pulmonary nodule calcifications in my upper lung early this year. They were not present in the same report investigations performed last year.

I want to get these removed through surgery, since they keep posing problems while applying visa and abroad work permit.

Can you please let me know the drawbacks and long term effects of having the calcifications removed through thoracoscopic surgery?

I have type 1 diabetes mellitus and I am taking Insulin for it.

#

As you said, you have pulmonary nodule with calcifications in the upper lung, it suggests old infection of the lung and calcification denotes it as a benign lesion.

Any healing in our body has a tendency of getting calcified over the period of time. But, that does not mean it is something serious or surgery can permanently heal it.

Till date, there is no surgery, which is specially advised for removing these types of calcifications. Even if it is removed, there are chances of recalcification again over the time period.

There are different rules for applying for jobs overseas in different countries. The main aim is to identify any communicable lung infection, like tuberculosis, which is active to prevent spread to the other residents.

Calcified lung nodules itself are old healed lesions and not considered as a matter of rejection in any job in the absence of other symptoms of the disease. So, I cannot advise you to go ahead with any kind of surgery.

For further information consult a pulmonologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pulmonologist

|