iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersInternal Medicinenail clubbingCan smoking cause clubbed nails?

Can smoking a pack a day cause nail clubbing?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At April 5, 2017
Reviewed AtMay 15, 2024

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

I am a 23 year old male, who weighs 195 lbs and I am 5.10 feet tall. All of my fingers are clubbed. My nails have become wide and thick giving them an abnormal round appearance. The skin above my cuticles is slightly raised and red. My nails do not extend straight out, but they curve down. I am almost certain that my nails are clubbed, and I am extremely concerned because there is no denying there is something is wrong with me. My nails used to be straight with a normal skin around it. Now my nails are abnormally round and extremely wide. I have all the physical symptoms of clubbing. I smoke a pack of cigarette a day for approximately eight years. I do not experience shortness of breath, except at times when doing physical activities. I am in great shape and work out six days a week. I have read articles on clubbing, and the possible causes are very alarming. Is it too late to reverse the clubbing? Is it possible that it is from smoking, and if not what can it be? I am attaching a photo of my fingers.


Welcome to icliniq.com.

  • I have seen the photo (attachment removed to protect patient identity) of your nails and fingers, and it is in fact clubbing. The cause is smoking-induced lung damage and bronchiectasis.
  • Regarding the reversibility, we cannot be sure at this moment, as it will depend on the exact cause and extent of the damage.
  • You should visit a local doctor for an examination, and you should get a chest x-ray and CT scan of the chest.
  • Also, echocardiography is needed to rule out heart diseases. It is important to ascertain the cause and treat it.
  • Until then, I suggest you try doing the following.
  1. Quit smoking to prevent further damage.
  2. Start chest physiotherapy to expel your sputum out of the lungs.
  3. Yoga will be helpful.
  4. Regular exercises and healthy diet to reduce weight, as high BMI (body mass index) will aggravate any lung condition.

Hope this helps you and get back if you have any doubts.

Revert with more information to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Sagar Ramesh Makode
Dr. Sagar Ramesh Makode


Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Internal Medicine

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy