Q. I smoke a packet of cigarette every day. Can it cause nail clubbing?

Published on Apr 05, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 05, 2019

I am a 23 year old male, who weighs 195 lbs and I am 5.10 feet tall. All of my fingers are clubbed. My nails have become wide and thick giving them an abnormal round appearance. The skin above my cuticles is slightly raised and red. My nails do not extend straight out, but they curve down. I am almost certain that my nails are clubbed, and I am extremely concerned because there is no denying there is something is wrong with me. My nails used to be straight with a normal skin around it. Now my nails are abnormally round and extremely wide. I have all the physical symptoms of clubbing. I smoke a pack of cigarette a day for approximately eight years. I do not experience shortness of breath, except at times when doing physical activities. I am in great shape and work out six days a week. I have read articles on clubbing, and the possible causes are very alarming. Is it too late to reverse the clubbing? Is it possible that it is from smoking, and if not what can it be? I am attaching a photo of my fingers.

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

• I have seen the photo (attachment removed to protect patient identity) of your nails and fingers, and it is in fact clubbing. The cause is smoking-induced lung damage and bronchiectasis.
  • Regarding the reversibility, we cannot be sure at this moment, as it will depend on the exact cause and extent of the damage.
  • You should visit a local doctor for an examination, and you should get a chest x-ray and CT scan of the chest.
  • Also, echocardiography is needed to rule out heart diseases. It is important to ascertain the cause and treat it.
  • Until then, I suggest you try doing the following.
  1. Quit smoking to prevent further damage.
  2. Start chest physiotherapy to expel your sputum out of the lungs.
  3. Yoga will be helpful.
  4. Regular exercises and healthy diet to reduce weight, as high BMI (body mass index) will aggravate any lung condition.

Hope this helps you and get back if you have any doubts.

Revert with more information to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Are acidity and constipation the withdrawal symptoms of quitting smoking?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 30 year old male and had been smoking for the last 10 years. I smoke four to five cigarettes a day. I stopped it completely for the last 36 days. Now, I am suffering with severe acidity and constipation. I am taking Sompraz 40 in the morning for the last 10 days, but no great impr...  Read Full »

How to reduce weight through yoga?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 23 year old obese boy. My weight is 110 kg and I feel myself unfit. I want to start practicing yoga for weight loss. But, I do not know anything about yoga. I want to know, how to meditate and relax our body and mind?  Read Full »

Penis enlargement exercises led to swollen veins on my shaft. Please guide me.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a healthy 33 year old male. I have sex regularly and masturbate regularly. Over the years, I dabbled in penis enlargement exercises. I quit doing them a while back because I felt it was causing a damage to the penis. Recently, I used a cock ring, but for not more than ten minute...  Read Full »