Q. Why am I losing more hair in the crown region?

Dr. Shaunak Patel
Published on Jun 29, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 37 year old woman. I weigh 70 kg and my height is 5 feet 4 inches. I am facing severe hairfall problem. I can see the roots coming out with the hair. I am a working professional, had premature graying so I used to apply color to cover gray. Last year I had Adgain capsules and used Anaphase shampoo for hairfall. But the problem of hairfall started again now. Should I go for any tests? Thank you.

Dr. Shaunak Patel

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology
#

I appreciate your question.

• First thing is, I recommend you to do the following tests:
  1. FSH (Follicle stimulating hormone) and LH (Luteinizing hormone) ratio.
  2. Serum cortisol levels both AM and PM values.
  3. Check for ACTH (Adrenocorticotropic hormone) levels in blood.
  4. Get the estrogen levels and TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) levels checked.
  5. Get tests for T3 (Triiodothyronine) and T4 (Thyroxine) both bound and free.
  • I need to know whether your periods are regular or not.
  • Is there any hairiness on face especially on the chin part?
  • Please send me clear pictures of entire scalp region where you think you have lost hair. Also let me know the duration of your past treatment.
  • My advise is you need to eat healthy and eat well.
  •  Do not skip breakfast. Include maximum protein in breakfast and have at least two big bowls of curd.
  • Curd is very good for hair. This is the advice and nutrition part. Follow up with reports. I shall suggest you medicines accordingly.

Revert back with the reports to a dermatologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

I am losing more hair in the crown area otherwise no patches. I have hairy face since childhood but now the hair on face has decreased. I have one more problem. My body hair has also started turning gray on eyebrows, upper lips and in pubic areas. Please find the reports attached and guide me accordingly. Thank you.

Dr. Shaunak Patel

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology
#

• I see that in your reports (attachments removed to protect patient identity), the ACTH and TSH level is increased.
  • This could be an early sign of hormone imbalance and hair loss from the point of dermatology. Otherwise an individual can be fine but from the hair point of view any slight changes manifest as hair loss.
  • LH has been done but FSH is missing. Hence I cannot calculate the ratio. Please get it done later.
  • Hair treatment can be long affair, so patience is the key. Stopping in between or opting for self-medication could be bad for the treatment plan.
  • As for the graying of hair, it is called canities and it could be due to other reasons which include nutritional, hereditary etc.
  • Now the medicines you need to have are:
  1. Tablet Xtraglo (vitamin B complex) once daily for six months.
  2. Capsule Keraglo Eva (Gamma Lenolenic acid) daily for six months.
  3. Tablet Neurobion Forte (Thiamine-vitamin B1) daily once for six months.
  4. Zincovit Syrup (Multivitamin) 2 tablespoon before lunch and 2 tablespoon before dinner.
  • Hair will take some time to improve and then some more time to reach to the desired length. So, it is important that you continue the medication throughout the course of the treatment.
  • Cutting edge options for you are PRP (platelet rich plasma therapy) and mesotherapy, alternative baldness treatment for both men and women to induce regrowth of hair.

Revert back with FSH reports and photographs of hair to a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist 

What can be the reason for gray hair in children?

Query: Hello doctor, What can be the reason for hair turning white in kids? Is there any solution to this problem? I read on the internet that hair can turn white even when vitamins or iron levels are low. If supplements are taken, can this problem be reduced? What kind of diet would help?  Read Full »

What causes low TSH and FT4?

Query: Dear Doctor, After my tubal pregnancy my thyroids started acting low TSH 0.11 0.21 0.26 and low FT4 0.81 0.82 0.79 .076. But did not visit the doctor yet. Is it hyperactivity thyroid? Give me any advice.  Read Full »

Please suggest ayurvedic treatment for dandruff and hair fall.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 26 year old male. My weight is 58 kg and height is 5'6". My problems are gray hair and hair fall. I have an allergy to dust, perfume, and smoke. Sometimes, I have breathing problem and cough in early morning, I am working in shift. I am suffering with constipation too. My blood su...  Read Full »