Why am I losing more hair in the crown region?

Q. Why am I losing more hair in the crown region?

Answered by
Dr. Shaunak Patel
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 29, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jun 27, 2023

Hello doctor,

I am a 37-year-old woman. I weigh 154.32 Ibs and my height is 5 feet 4 inches. I am facing a severe hair fall problem. I can see the roots coming out with the hair. I am a working professional, and had premature graying so I used to apply color to cover gray. Last year I had Adgain capsules and used Anaphase shampoo for hair fall. But the problem of hair fall started again now. Should I go for any tests? Thank you.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

I appreciate your question.

First thing is, I recommend you to do the following tests:

  1. FSH (Follicle stimulating hormone) and LH (Luteinizing hormone) ratio.
  2. Serum cortisol levels both AM and PM values.
  3. Check for ACTH (Adrenocorticotropic hormone) levels in blood.
  4. Get the estrogen levels and TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) levels checked.
  5. Get tests for T3 (Triiodothyronine) and T4 (Thyroxine) both bound and free.

I need to know whether your periods are regular or not. Is there any hairiness on the face especially on the chin part? Please send me clear pictures of the entire scalp region where you think you have lost hair. Also, let me know the duration of your past treatment. My advice is you need to eat healthy and eat well. Do not skip breakfast. Include maximum protein in breakfast and have at least two big bowls of curd. Curd is very good for hair. This is the advice and nutrition part. Follow up with reports. I shall suggest medicines accordingly.

Hello doctor,

Thank you for the reply doctor.

I am losing more hair in the crown area otherwise no patches. I have hairy face since childhood but now the hair on face has decreased. I have one more problem. My body hair has also started turning gray on eyebrows, upper lips and in pubic areas. Please find the reports attached and guide me accordingly. Thank you.



Welcome back to icliniq.com.

I see that in your reports (attachments removed to protect patient identity), the ACTH and TSH level is increased. This could be an early sign of hormone imbalance and hair loss from the point of dermatology. Otherwise, an individual can be fine but from the hair point of view, any slight changes manifest as hair loss. LH has been done but FSH is missing. Hence I cannot calculate the ratio. Please get it done later. As for the loss of hair from the crown, you are experiencingmale pattern baldness.

Hair treatment can be long affair, so patience is the key. Stopping in between or opting for self-medication could be bad for the treatment plan. As for the graying of hair, it is called canities and it could be due to other reasons which include nutritional, hereditary etc. Now the medicines you need to have are:

  1. Tablet Xtraglo (vitamin B complex) once daily for six months.
  2. Capsule Keraglo Eva (Gamma Lenolenic acid) daily for six months.
  3. Tablet Neurobion Forte (Thiamine-vitamin B1) daily once for six months.
  4. Zincovit Syrup (Multivitamin) 2 tablespoons before lunch and 2 tablespoons before dinner.

Hair will take some time to improve and then some more time to reach the desired length. So, it is important that you continue the medication throughout the course of the treatment. Cutting-edge options for you are PRP (platelet-rich plasma therapy) and mesotherapy, an alternative baldness treatment for both men and women to induce the regrowth of hair.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Is hair fall common after a surgery?

 Three weeks back I started taking Minoxidil 2% on a dermatologist recommendation ... Keep taking the multivitamins and there is no need for Minoxidil because it is mainly for androgenic alopeci   Read full

Will increased TSH level harm the baby's brain growth?

.. stimulating hormone) is very important for the baby's brain growth as rightly said by you. Therefore, it is imperative that we treat aggressively. Target TSH in the first trimester is 0.3 - 2.5 mIU/L and therefore the doctor did not change the treatme   Read full

Does hair fall stop immediately with the use of Proscar?

Both, Minoxidil and Finasteride takes time to act and in some cases it will take two to three months ... I went off Proscar as I thought that just using Minoxidil would be fine ...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

PCOS and Liver Problems
The hormonal imbalances in polycystic ovary syndrome could cause liver diseases. Read the article to know the relationship between these medical conditions.  Read more»
Inferior Alveolar Nerve Lateralization Technique
The inferior alveolar nerve lateralization technique is a surgical lateralization technique to reposition the nerve. Read the article to know more about this.  Read more»
COVID-19 and Ebola: Similarities and Differences
This article gives a comparison and broader overview of the outbreak of the two deadliest diseases that showed a greater incidence over the last two decades.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Dermatologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.