Q. Why do people fix midline misalignment of teeth?

Dr. Naveen Thomas
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 25, 2015 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Why do people fix midline misalignment of teeth (the middle of upper and lower teeth do not line up), apart from appearance as the factor?

I had undergone treatment with wire braces and removed them off just yesterday. I noticed that I have a little midline misalignment even after treatment. When I bring my jaws together (while biting) the edge of my left lower central incisor touches between (the back) of the upper central incisors. This makes me feel very uncomfortable.

I have attached pictures for you to understand my issue.

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentistry Endodontist Paediatric Dentistry Periodontist
#

I have viewed the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• Apart from esthetics there is no other need for the midline alignment of teeth.
  • You can leave it as such if you do not have any functional abnormalities.
  • If the lower front teeth are hitting the upper front teeth, in long term it will cause the upper teeth to flare out (protrude out) in a 3-4 years time.
  • Just ask your dentist to reduce (grind) the hitting point by 0.5 mm.
  • It should have been corrected along with the orthodontic correction with wire braces.

Revert back to an orthodontist online for further follow up --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthodontist

|