Q. 70 year old has cough accompanied by wheezing. Is it advisable to try Asthalin?

My father (aged 70) is suffering from coughing and light fever (varying between 99 to 101) for the past 10 days now. Medical tests (attached) do not seem to reveal anything, and the prescribed medicines (see below) do not improve things. Coughing is now also accompanied by wheezing sometimes, and is at the peak during the dawn hours and causes extreme difficulty in sleeping.

Since my mother and I have a slight problem of asthma, is there any chance he might be suffering from the same? I have to take Asthalin/Foracort Rotacaps occasionally which immediately relieves the coughing. Would it be advisable for him to try Asthalin/Foracort when he faces wheezing?Any other suggestions/remedies?

Do note that he takes regular medicines for maintaining his blood pressure: Olmax-AM and Prazopress-XL).

Medicines taken so far:Five days:MoxClav-625 (1x2).Ebast DC (1x2).Ibugesic Plus (1x3).Zevit (1x1). Another two days:Imunocin (1x2).Esoga-RD (1x1).Syrup Cyp-L (1x3).Surbex XT (1x1).Ibugesic Plus (1x1).Syp Tossex DMR (1x1).

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

I have gone through the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It appears to be bronchitis, likely viral. Has his fever settled now or still continuing? Wheezing and coughing may continue for some more days up to one to three weeks.

Yes, he can and he should use the inhaler. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines with their consent. Initially, he should have MDI (metered dose inhaler) or Rotahaler Asthalin (Salbutamol/ Albuterol) two puffs or one Rotacap whenever needed, up to four to six times a day. If coughing and shortness of breath are not relieved then he should also have Foracort (Formoterol and Budesonide) two times a day.

He should also have tablet Montair LC (Monteleukast and Levocetirizine) once a day at bedtime for 10 days.

If there is no improvement in fever for another four to five days, then he should have chest X-ray to find out the other cause of his fever.

Hope this helps you and get back if you have any doubts.

For more information consult a general medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

| 

Given his current medications for his high blood pressure problems, are any precautions needed when taking the Asthalin rotacaps to avoid any drug interactions?

#

No, there should not be any significant problem as we are giving it by inhalation and interactions are minimal this way.

All the best.

|