Q. I have calcified meningioma with dizziness and frequent headaches. Please advise.

Dr. Gerry Mike
Published on Mar 22, 2019

I was diagnosed with a 9 mm diffusely calcified meningioma and have been having symptoms such as dizziness, loss of balance, ringing in ears and more frequent headaches. I was told it was a big nothing. But I am not sure. Six months back I went to the ER with a pain in my head around right ear and back of the skull, no one could touch it or me. I had never experienced such pain.

Dr. Gerry Mike

Neuro Surgery
#

I have reviewed your CT scan and it showed a meningioma at the right cerebropontine angle (attachment removed to protect patient identity). This tumor is small however if this cause you dizziness. The best way to approach it is to take medication like Betahistine 16 mg tablet twice a day. It is wiser to observe this tumor if it is not causing harm like compression on the brainstem and cranial nerves. Contemplating on surgery is not a choice at this moment because it is not guaranteed that you will preserve your hearing after the surgery. Waiting for tumor growth outweighs surgery at this time, but if you are worried about it, you can seek to consult with a neurosurgeon and discuss gamma knife surgery wherein it halts the progression of growth. This should help you as your guide.

Thank you for your reply. Is it possible I could already be losing hearing in the right ear?

Dr. Gerry Mike

Neuro Surgery
#

You are most welcome. It can be that you are losing hearing so you have to work upon it by consulting an ENT and get yourself pure tone audiometry test. This would identify if you are losing hearing. If turns out to be good, then you are not losing it.

What is causing this benign meningioma tumor to grow?

Query: Hello doctor,My father is 87 years old and has been diagnosed with a benign meningioma of his brain. He had an MRI done recently and it showed that the tumor has grown. He is supposed to undergo radiation therapy soon. Do you know what would cause the tumor to grow? What is the prognosis? Is radiati...  Read Full »

Does the blood pressure medication could cause headaches?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 50 year old female. I have aches in my limbs and thighs especially at night. It is often characterized by heaviness in limbs. I am getting headache chiefly in left side of the head. I am taking painkiller at least once in a week for the same. I am taking Newtel 40 mg for blood pres...  Read Full »

I have headache after using Nevanac ophthalmic suspension

Query: Hello doctor, I am 37 years old. I have discomfort and mild pain in the right eye since last four days. The doctor has advised taking Nevanac ophthalmic suspension 0.1 suspension, and Maxmoist eye drops for dry eye. He has advised to take Nevanac one drop four times daily in both eyes, and Maxmoist ...  Read Full »

Ask a Neuro Surgeon Now