Q. I have calcified meningioma with dizziness and frequent headaches. Please advise.

Dr. Gerry Mike Palisoc

I was diagnosed with a 9 mm diffusely calcified meningioma and have been having symptoms such as dizziness, loss of balance, ringing in ears and more frequent headaches. I was told it was a big nothing. But I am not sure. Six months back I went to the ER with a pain in my head around right ear and back of the skull, no one could touch it or me. I had never experienced such pain.

#

I have reviewed your CT scan and it showed a meningioma at the right cerebropontine angle (attachment removed to protect patient identity). This tumor is small however if this cause you dizziness. The best way to approach it is to take medication like Betahistine 16 mg tablet twice a day. It is wiser to observe this tumor if it is not causing harm like compression on the brainstem and cranial nerves. Contemplating on surgery is not a choice at this moment because it is not guaranteed that you will preserve your hearing after the surgery. Waiting for tumor growth outweighs surgery at this time, but if you are worried about it, you can seek to consult with a neurosurgeon and discuss gamma knife surgery wherein it halts the progression of growth. This should help you as your guide.

Thank you for your reply. Is it possible I could already be losing hearing in the right ear?

#

You are most welcome. It can be that you are losing hearing so you have to work upon it by consulting an ENT and get yourself pure tone audiometry test. This would identify if you are losing hearing. If turns out to be good, then you are not losing it.

|