Q. If my periods are delayed due to pregnancy, can Medroxyprogesterone cause abortion?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 25, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 12, 2020

I have PCOS, and I missed my last two periods. Can I take Meprate or Deviry? In case I am pregnant, I want to keep the baby. Will these medicines cause abortion?

#

How are you doing?

You can definitely take either of the medicines, they both are the same. They are both Medroxyprogesterone acetate, and it is the same hormone which is released from your ovaries in the second half of periods after ovulation. In PCOD (polycystic ovary disease), as you are not ovulating, this hormone will be deficient.

So, taking the pill meprate will cause bleeding, only if you are not pregnant. If there is pregnancy, this same progesterone hormone is produced by the ovary to support the fetus. So, these medicines will not cause abortion, but it will support it further. These medicines are very safe whether you are pregnant or not. It can never cause abortion.

Hope I have clarified your doubt, do write back. All the best.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 
1 out of 1 likes