Q. I am a 24 year old female with a Jones fracture. What will happen if it is left untreated?

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena
This is a premium question & answer published on May 21, 2015 and last reviewed on: Jan 07, 2019

I am a 24 year old female with a Jones fracture. I broke it for the first time last year and again this year. At this stage, it is showing a nonunion, but I can easily bear weight and there is no pain or swelling. I have no plans to play sports or go running in the future. I was wondering if I can live without getting pinned. As of now, I cannot take leave from work. Also, what will happen if a nonunion is is left untreated?

#

I have gone through your question, and it seems that your fracture is not healing well. There are a few points which I want you to know:

The first and the fifth metatarsal are actually the weight-bearing bones in the foot. So, proper union of any fracture involving these two bones is important. Jones fracture involves the fifth metatarsal of the foot and that too in an area with a slightly peculiar blood supply. So, if not managed well, can lead to nonunion.

You are very young, and at this stage, it is not advisable to leave any fracture unsupervised in terms of treatment. If your concerned orthopedic doctor is telling to get it pinned or open reduction and internal fixation with a screw, then it makes quite a lot of sense to actually undergo that treatment. I can actually advise you in a better manner if I can see your fresh x-ray and also your clinical picture showing the involved foot.

Also, you have not mentioned the total duration since the second injury, and what form of management is being done right now. If it goes into permanent nonunion, you will keep on having foot problems from time to time in the form of pain, swelling, and difficulty in ambulation.

| 

Do broken bones set themselves as a child grows?

Query: Hello doctor, My 4 year old son has a broken ulna and radius. They are broken in the middle of his arm. The x-ray shows that the broken bones are displaced. The doctor did not perform a reduction and ordered a full arm cast. He stated that the bones will set themselves as my son grows. Is this true...  Read Full »

I had a leg injury 20 days back, please explain my MRI reports.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 33 year old male, who presents with a Lisfranc injury. I had a leg injury 20 days back. I was told it was a minor sprain, and I tried to walk on my foot, but it is paining a lot. I am currently using non-weight bearing boots, and would not be able to see my surgeon for anoth...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now