Q. I missed my period last month, but I am spotting now. What could be the reason?

Dr. Priyadarshini Tripathy
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 05, 2020 and last reviewed on: Nov 09, 2020

I have normal periods every month that are regular. This time I got a spotting but missed the periods last month. After that, I got nausea, back pain, weakness, and food aversions. I did a urine pregnancy test four days ago, and there was a very faint positive line. But the doctor said that the beta HCG blood test is negative, which I did today. What could be the reason for this? I am currently taking Glyciphage 500 for diabetes.

#

I went through your query. It is always known that blood pregnancy tests, which reflect quantitative beta HCG (Human chorionic gonadotropin), are more sensitive than urine tests. The most common causes of false-positive urine pregnancy tests are:

• Error in using the kit in which the evaporation line is usually mistaken as the double-positive line, at times expired equipment is used or if the urine is not concentrated enough (that is why one should always use the first pass urine in the morning). It is also essential to follow the instructions and wait for a more extended period to interpret the results. Recent medication use like fertility medications, psychotropic drugs, Dopamine, and antiseizure medicines.
  • Urinary tract infection- it releases inflammatory byproducts, a protein that gives false-positive results in the urine.
  • May be due to a ruptured corpus luteum cyst.

So do not worry. It is well known that HCG (if present) doubles every 48 hours in early pregnancy. So you can repeat after two days (blood beta HCG) to see the trend. If it increases, then there might be a pregnancy. On the other hand, if still negative, you can be reassured that you are not pregnant. I hope this helps you with your query. Feel free to reach out with any further questions.

| 

I have missed period with white vaginal discharge after sex. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 25-year-old sexually active female. I have missed my period date this month by eight days today. I had sexual intercourse 10 days after periods following which I took an Unwanted 72 two days later. I got my period last month. Following this, I had protected sex (condom). I have...  Read Full »

Had cervical polypectomy and experiencing back pain. Will it subside in time?

Query: Hi doctor, I had cervical polypectomy and was told to expect brown discharge. Now experiencing cramping, minor bleeding, vinegar smell, and severe back pain, to the point that I am dizzy and nauseous. A couple of days earlier had a bunch of discharge that looked like dark reddish and orangish skin....  Read Full »

Understanding Low Back Pain

Article Overview: Low back pain is commonly found in young and school going individuals these days unlike it was believed as a disease of old age. So this is a small article giving a basic understanding of low back pain in the young hard working generation. Read Article

Dr. Anuj Gupta

Low back pain is the second most common ailment with common cold being the first. Previously, low back pain was considered age-related, that is, mostly seen in older individuals. So, it was considered a pain due to weak muscles and weak bones. But nowadays, back pain is quite common in the young pop...  Read Article

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»