Q. Seven days since I missed my period. Pregnancy tests negative. Why?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 13, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am 23 years old and slim female. Three years back, I had been diagnosed with PCOS, mild stage as doctor said. I had Hyponidd tablets for one year or more. After that my periods were regular. I got married two years back and I am not on any regular medication from that time. Now, I am trying to conceive. It is seven days since I missed my period. Today, I got my pregnancy test result as negative. What shall I do? Should I wait for another week to test again? Is it PCOS shooting again? Will I have to get treatment for conception? Can PCOS be cured? Please help.

#

If you have taken the urine pregnancy test after seven days of missed periods, then the results are usually conclusive.

You may repeat the test after 48 hours and if it is still negative then you are not pregnant.

The delay can possibly be due to stress induced hormonal imbalance, especially during this cycle due to stressors which can easily delay your menses.

If your menses do not arrive naturally in next one week, then you may opt for a withdrawal bleed with Progesterone.

A single delayed period is not an indication for infertility workup.

Repeat the tests and consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Thank you doctor.

But, I did not understand the term withdrawal bleed. Can you explain? And is it possible for me to get pregnant without any medication?

#

• Withdrawal bleeding is the other name of menses which are induced because of medicine (Progesterone).
  • If you have regular ovulation and following your fertile period sincerely and your medical reports are normal, then you need not worry. You can easily conceive naturally.

For further doubts consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|