Q. Does my mom need a surgery for mitral valve leak?

Dr. Vivek Maroti Celerio Mandurke
Published on Jul 29, 2016

My mom is 46 years old. She recently had her routine physical examinations and they found out her mitral valve could not close fully, but very light degree. The doctor there thinks that she does not need a surgery and he did not mention anything else. So, I really want a second opinion on this. Does she need a surgery? What should she do now to improve her health?

#

• Yes, mild to moderate leak can be managed with medicine, but if severe leak is there, then at some stage operation is required.
  • I can guide you more if you send echo report and more history.

Revert back with the reports to a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

As she is in another country now, I managed to send you the vital information about the echo report. Hopefully that will be sufficient for you to diagnose. Thank you.

#

• If you have video, then it will be more useful. Anyway, from the report you conveyed it shows that one heart chamber has enlarged much in size and the leak is moderate.
  • She needs to be on medication. If there is any breathing difficulty, which is difficult to control with medicine, then she needs surgery.
  • Otherwise, every 6-12 monthly echo should be done to monitor heart leakage and other parameters of she is well on medicine. We can decrease the progression with medication.

For further doubts consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

What medicine should she take? Can medication cure her condition? Are you sure that she will need to get the surgery one day?

#

Do not get panic. Nowadays, science is much advanced.

• We advice ACE inhibitor to reduce load on the heart. It can push surgery a few more years if the patient is comfortable on medicine.
  • But, if the patient is not well on medicine and heart function deteriorates, then surgery is a must.
  • Anyway, if surgery done in proper time, then it has very good result.
  • She is young and has a long life ahead. So, do not worry. Just keep a good follow up and she will be fine.
  • As per your history, she is not having many complaints now. But, need to monitor closely and continue healthy lifestyle.

For further information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

Do my X-rays show the beginnings of asthma or COPD?

Query: Hi doctor, I was diagnosed with bronchitis yesterday in the emergency room. Felt very weak and difficulty breathing and could not wait for my doctor appointment in two weeks. I have an unproductive cough for a month and a half and burning in my chest. Today very breathless when talking. Do these X-...  Read Full »

What is the prognosis of CKD?

Query: Hi doctor, My girlfriend is 35 years old. She is obese, exercises regularly and tries to watch her diet. In spite of these, she is prediabetic. Her fasting blood glucose is typically around 105 mg/dL. Her A1C is normally in the range of 5.7% to 6%. She takes Metformin to manage the prediabetes. Her...  Read Full »

I was diagnosed with bronchitis in ER. Is it the correct diagnosis?

Query: Hello doctor, I was diagnosed with bronchitis today in the emergency room. I felt very weak and had difficulty breathing and could not wait for my doctor's appointment in two weeks. I have an unproductive cough for a month and a half and burning in my chest. I have attached my reports. Do you se...  Read Full »