iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersCardiologymitral valve prolapseDoes a mitral valve prolapse need surgery?

Does a mild mitral valve prolapse require a surgery?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

Dr. K. Shobana

Published At August 9, 2017
Reviewed AtFebruary 23, 2024

Patient's Query

I am 21 years old. I had been diagnosed with a mild mitral valve prolapse four years ago. I have been prescribed beta-blockers for the same. Last year when an echo was performed, it showed that the prolapse had reduced. But, in the last few months, due to an increased amount of activity and my varicocele medication, I feel a chest pain. I also feel depression, anxiety, and panic even though there is nothing to worry about. Do I need a surgery or can I continue with the same medications? Thank you.

If you have only MVP (mitral valve prolapse), and no other complication such as valve leakage, there is nothing much to worry about. Have you ever had a stroke? I want to see your current ECG (electrocardiogram) and echocardiography report to guide you properly. Regarding your symptoms, these are not due to the mitral valve prolapse. Avoid caffeine and alcohol. Keep taking the prescribed medications. Follow-up with echocardiography and ECG is advised. Thank you.

Patient's Query

Thanks for replying. I have attached the files.

I have seen your electrocardiogram and echocardiography reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). From your reports, I can say, there is only MVP (mitral valve prolapse) and no complication of it. Regarding mitral regurgitation (MR), it is only trivial which means, this is of no significance. The MVP is of concern only in the case of a moderate to severe MR. Your echocardiography is normal and there is nothing to worry. Repeat the echo, after a year to see the progress. Surgery is not needed. Thank you.

Patient's Query

But the echo was done more than two years ago. The ECG was done recently. Do I need to get another echo done? After finishing my workout at the gym, I felt a pain and a pressure in my chest. Also, does my varicocele affect blood circulation? Thank you.

Yes, you should go for an echocardiogram again to check for a progression or regression. For the varicocele, consult a surgeon. Varicocele has no effects on the heart. Thank you.

Patient's Query

I have another question regarding the indication of TR-trivial in the echo. Is it tricuspid regurgitation? But my physician did not say anything about it. Why? Thank you.

Yes, that is tricuspid regurgitation. It is trivial and of no significance. Let us see the new echocardiography. Thank you.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq
Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq

Cardiology

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Cardiology

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy