Q. Does a mild mitral valve prolapse require a surgery?

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq
Published on Aug 08, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am 21 years old. I had been diagnosed with a mild mitral valve prolapse four years ago. I have been prescribed beta-blockers for the same. Last year when an echo was performed, it showed that the prolapse had reduced. But, in the last few months, due to an increased amount of activity and my varicocele medication, I feel a chest pain. I also feel depression, anxiety, and panic even though there is nothing to worry about. Do I need a surgery or can I continue with the same medications?

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq

Cardiology General Practitioner
#

If you have only MVP (mitral valve prolapse), and no other complication such as valve leakage, there is nothing much to worry about.

• Have you ever had a stroke? I want to see your current ECG (electrocardiogram) and echocardiography report to guide you properly.
  • Regarding your symptoms, these are not due to the mitral valve prolapse.
  • Avoid caffeine and alcohol. Keep taking the prescribed medications.

Follow up with echocardiography and ECG is advised. Regards.

Revert with more information to a cardiologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

Thanks for replying. I have attached the files.

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq

Cardiology General Practitioner
#

I have seen your electrocardiogram and echocardiography reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• From your reports, I can say, there is only MVP (mitral valve prolapse) and no complication of it.
  • Regarding mitral regurgitation (MR), it is only trivial which means, this is of no significance. The MVP is of concern only in the case of a moderate to severe MR.
  • Your echocardiography is normal and there is nothing to worry. Repeat the echo, after a year to see the progress. Surgery is not needed.

For further queries consult a cardiologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

But the echo was done more than two years ago. The ECG was done recently. Do I need to get another echo done? After finishing my workout at the gym, I felt a pain and a pressure in my chest. Also, does my varicocele affect blood circulation?

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq

Cardiology General Practitioner
#

• Yes, you should go for an echocardiogram again to check for a progression or regression.
  • For the varicocele, consult a surgeon. Varicocele has no effects on the heart.

For more information consult a cardiologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

MRI shows stroke and brain changes. Is it due to untreated sleep apnea?

Query: Hello doctor, The patient underwent extensive routine physical examination including MR/CT imaging and laboratory analysis earlier this month. The MR Brain shows evidence of lacunar stroke and ischemic brain changes. Please advise if these might be connected to untreated obstructive sleep apnea (mor...  Read Full »

Kindly give your suggestion based on my blood report.

Query: Hi doctor, I am having mild chest pain over the last three days. I also feel lazy and less energetic for few months. I have done routine checkup. Can you please give suggestion based on the report attached?  Read Full »

Is stroke with bleeding serious or without bleeding?

Query: Hi doctor, I got a stroke but I do not know how to explain it. Twice I was bleeding along with the stroke. One type of bleeding was chronic and the other one was acute. I would like to know which type of bleeding is dangerous? And also explain the reason for the same.  Read Full »