Q. What is the possibility of chronic skin lesion to be benign?

Dr. Snehal Laul

My friend got some skin lesions for a couple of years. She does marathons, swimming, and is in the sun a lot. We need some advice regarding skin lesion. Kindly help.

#

Use photostable sunscreen daily at 9 AM, 12 PM,3 PM, and 30 minutes before going outdoors in the sun. Biopsy of the lesion should be done to rule out melanoma/malignancy.

Do you have a family history of melanoma? Is there a change in size, shape, and color noticed? Is there severe sunburn in childhood? Do you have many moles or dysplastic nevi on the body? Do you have any associated symptoms with the lesion? Do you have irritation around the surrounding skin?

Please reply.

No history of melanoma. Can she get it removed? What do you feel about this? She does not have any irritation around the skin. She has a lot of freckles on the body. And she had some sunburns a few years ago.

#

It could be benign melanosis. But to rule out malignancy, skin biopsy/serial dermatoscopy should be performed. If malignancy detected, wide excision is required.

Malignancy will be detected on tests like histopathological examination, digital epiluminescence microscopy, and biopsy. PET scan is done to see if there is metastasis. If detected, the early success rate of treatment is very high.

Is it sore? Does she have dry skin or xeroderma pigmentosa? Is there bleeding or crust formation? Is there a variety of shades, and is it larger than 6 mm? Does it look irregular or asymmetric? Are any noticeable changes present? Is there any increase in the number of moles? When does it appear? Does she have large congenital nevus or many moles or nevi on the body? What is the age of the patient? Any exposure to UV rays?

It is not sore. Looking at the picture, do you think it is benign? If it is melanoma, is it early detection, or is she late?

#

Melanoma is grave disease that mostly arises from an innocent-looking mole. If new moles occur with age or there is a change in it, there is a risk of turning it into melanoma. So, to rule out malignancy, test, as mentioned previously, are done.

Moles (benign melanosis) may have different patterns like signature lesions, ladybug pattern, cheetah phenotype, etc. A mole or nevus is a black or brown spot present on the skin. It is usually round, has a uniform color with smooth edges, often less than 6 mm in diameter, and is often acquired during childhood or adolescence. Most of them will never cause a problem. If there is an increase in the number of moles after 50 years, then it is a risk factor.

Such risk factors as a mole with irregular shape or increase in number, multiple atypical moles, large congenital nevus, fair skin/blond or red hair, advanced age, family history, or previous history of skin cancer should be screened.

Anyone can get melanoma. Not all with multiple risk factors will end up having the disease. It is also possible that melanoma may arise in a person with a few or no risk factors. So screening is necessary.

|