Q. How to cure Moraxella catarrhalis infection?

Answered by Dr. Uphar Gupta and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Moraxella Catarrhalis or Fever? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »
Image: How to cure Moraxella catarrhalis infection?

My daughter is 2 years old. Eight months before, she had ear discharge. It was diagnosed as acute otitis media and she was treated with antibiotics such as Lindacin, etc. A week after the completion of antibiotics, again she had the same problem for about three months. Then, the ENT specialist decided to clean the mastoid. Since then, she has been getting fever once in every month. It has been six months now and the 6th time she is taking antibiotics. The blood results are always showing that there is a bacteria, but never detected the location. The fever goes up to 40 and 40.1 degree Celsius. In addition, Paracetamol does not lower the fever and Ibuprofen keeps her only three hours. So, I normally do the rotation with Voltaren. We recently got a strep test for mouth, ear and nose. The nose strep had a bacteria called Moraxella catarrhalis. Would this bacteria cause such a problem? Would the CRP be so high due to this? How is it possible that such bacteria was not cured taking so many antibiotics for such a long time? Can you please advise me what should I do further? I am really worried.