Q. My father has severe headache and swelling in the mouth after COVID. Why?

Dr. Satyajit Jalinder Pawar
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sushrutha Muralidharan

My father recently recovered from COVID-19 and again re-admitted to the hospital with mucormycosis symptoms. The main problem my father is facing are several continuous headaches and swelling inside the mouth, and loosening of teeth. He is facing these problems for the last 25 days (from before discharge from the hospital). The blood tests performed are creatinine, urea, sodium, potassium, D-Dimer, CRP, microalbumin, creatinine ratio (ACR), CBC, LFT, and hemoglobin.

His MRI report has been received, and the biopsy report is yet to come. Kindly review and the MRI report and explain. Also, kindly suggest the probable reason for the headache. Kindly give your opinion.

#

I have gone through your query and the reports you have provided (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity).

His diagnosis would be a 59-year-old male with diabetes mellitus and post COVID mucormycosis - sinonasal plus orbital. As your father has recovered recently from COVID and has comorbidities of diabetes, he is at high risk for developing mucormycosis.

MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) picture suggests mucosal thickening and swelling along the orbit, which suggests the development of possible fungal sinusitis and orbital extension. This is the reason he is having persistent headaches. Mucormycosis slowly erodes bones and involves the surrounding area. It is causing severe pain. Loosening of teeth can also be due to the extension of mucormycosis in the alveolar margin and hard palate, as seen on MRI.

Once confirmed on biopsy, he will need surgery to remove the infected soft tissue and prolonged anti-fungal treatment. Also, his sugars will need to be controlled strictly to avoid further spread of infection.

If you have any further questions regarding the details of his treatment, please revert here. I hope this was helpful.

|