Q. What test should I do to confirm narcolepsy?

Dr. Divakara P
and medically reviewed by Nithila A
Published on Sep 23, 2019

I am 17-year-old with height 5'8" and weight 118. My doctor has clinically diagnosed me with narcolepsy. He said that I show every sign and symptom I did not meet the requirements on the MSLT. He believes that I still have it. He did blood work, and my iron and vitamin C came back low. He wants to do a spinal tap, if that comes back fine does that mean I do not have narcolepsy. Also, what does clinically diagnosed mean?

Dr. Divakara P

Diabetology Endocrinology General Medicine Internal Medicine Pain Medicine Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)
#

Most of the diagnosis is made based on the patient's history of complaints, examination done by the doctor and supported by investigations. The investigations most of the time play a crucial role for example if I suspect diabetes in a patient and his blood sugar test reports come normal, then my diagnosis needs to be changed. But for certain diseases, there are no tests which will confirm or refute the diagnosis.

Narcolepsy is one such disease. So what your doctor is doing is he is testing for other illnesses which mimic as narcolepsy. And if tests come normal, he concludes as narcolepsy based only on your symptoms and his examination and not on test reports. That is the meaning of clinically diagnosing. If you can tell me your symptoms, I can help you in diagnosis.

Kindly suggest Vitamin C serums for removing brown spots from face.

Query: Hello doctor, My sister's age is 28, normal, sensitive skin. She is having brown spots on her face. Can you please suggest the best Vitamin C serums for removing brown spots on her face without any side effects? Is there any other options (simple and safe) for removing such brown spots?  Read Full »

I have been facing excessive sleeping. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 22 years old. I have been facing excessive sleeping for the last two weeks. Even after having a sound sleep for 6 to 8 hours at night I find it difficult to wake up. I feel sleepy all day long. If I think of taking a nap in the afternoon, then it again lasts for 3 to 4 hours and aga...  Read Full »

Amla - a Treasure of Vitamin C

Article Overview: Amla is the one of the most important medicinal plants in the traditional system of medicine. It contains the highest amount of vitamin C and has other nutrients as well. I have discussed the health benefits of amla in this article. Read Article

Dr. Durga Kumari
Nutritionist

The wonder fruit amla (Indian gooseberry) is highly valued by nutritionists and practitioners of indigenous medicine. This is scientifically known as Emblica officinalis or Phyllanthus emblica.  Amla has been held in high esteem in indigenous medicine. It is acidic, diuretic and laxa...  Read Article