Q. What are the best Vitamin C serums for removing brown spots from face?

Dr. Ashwini. V. Swamy

My sister's age is 28, normal, sensitive skin. She is having brown spots on her face. Can you please suggest the best Vitamin C serums for removing brown spots on her face without any side effects? Is there any other options (simple and safe) for removing such brown spots?

#

There are many causes for brown spots on face, it could be:

1. Freckles.

2. DPN- Dermatosis papulosa nigra.

3. Melasma.

4. Post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation.

Treatment is different for each, it is very difficult to suggest any treatment for you without seeing your pictures, I will have to see the pictures to make the diagnosis so that I can suggest you the most appropriate treatment options. Please attach your clinical pictures of the face taken in good daylight.

I have attached the files.

#

Your sister has a combination of things (attachment removed to protect patient identity), she has a few moles on the right side of forehead and cheek. Most of them are freckles, freckles increase melanin pigmentation on exposure to sunlight, freckles are seen most commonly in fair skinned people.

Treatment options for freckles include,

1. Microdermabrasion and chemical peel.

2. IPL laser treatment.

3. Topical exfoliating agent- Retinol.

4. Skin lightening creams- Kojic acid, glycolic acid.

Sun protection is very very important, she will need a sunscreen with SPF 50, apply to the whole face in the morning 30 minutes before going out in sun. Chemical peel would be better for her. Regarding Vitamin C serum, Flavo -C and VCX serum, these are good. Should be applied thinly to face at night.

Whether using Vitamin C serum will be useful or not for my sister?

#

Vitamin C serum will lighten the pigmentation when used with strict sun protection in the morning. (Sunscreen is a must). Yes, Vitamin C is useful. When combined with a chemical peel, (once a month for three sessions) Vitamin C will give good results.

I heard that in some sunscreen, SPF 50, there will be harmful chemicals. So can you please suggest any particular brands without chemicals?

#

All sunscreen have same ingredients like Zinc Oxide, Oxybenzone, Octocrylene, and more in various combination. They are designed to block the sunlight both physically and chemically. Sunscreen always has a protective effect on skin than harming it. Sunlight causes more harm to skin if not protected.

|