Q. What are the best Vitamin C serums for removing brown spots from face?

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

My sister's age is 28, normal, sensitive skin. She is having brown spots on her face. Can you please suggest the best Vitamin C serums for removing brown spots on her face without any side effects? Is there any other options (simple and safe) for removing such brown spots?

Do you have a question on Vitamin C Serum or Freckle?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

MBBS., MD- DERMATOLOGY, VENEREOLOGY, LEPROSY
Dermatology Venereology

There are many causes for brown spots on face, it could be:

1. Freckles.

2. DPN- Dermatosis papulosa nigra.

3. Melasma.

4. Post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation.

Treatment is different for each, it is very difficult to suggest any treatment for you without seeing your pictures, I will have to see the pictures to make the diagnosis so that I can suggest you the most appropriate treatment options. Please attach your clinical pictures of the face taken in good daylight.

I have attached the files.

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

Dermatology Venereology

Your sister has a combination of things (attachment removed to protect patient identity), she has a few moles on the right side of forehead and cheek. Most of them are freckles, freckles increase melanin pigmentation on exposure to sunlight, freckles are seen most commonly in fair skinned people.

Treatment options for freckles include,

1. Microdermabrasion and chemical peel.

2. IPL laser treatment.

3. Topical exfoliating agent- Retinol.

4. Skin lightening creams- Kojic acid, glycolic acid.

Sun protection is very very important, she will need a sunscreen with SPF 50, apply to the whole face in the morning 30 minutes before going out in sun. Chemical peel would be better for her. Regarding Vitamin C serum, Flavo -C and VCX serum, these are good. Should be applied thinly to face at night.

Whether using Vitamin C serum will be useful or not for my sister?

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

Dermatology Venereology

Vitamin C serum will lighten the pigmentation when used with strict sun protection in the morning. (Sunscreen is a must). Yes, Vitamin C is useful. When combined with a chemical peel, (once a month for three sessions) Vitamin C will give good results.

I heard that in some sunscreen, SPF 50, there will be harmful chemicals. So can you please suggest any particular brands without chemicals?

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

Dermatology Venereology

All sunscreen have same ingredients like Zinc Oxide, Oxybenzone, Octocrylene, and more in various combination. They are designed to block the sunlight both physically and chemically. Sunscreen always has a protective effect on skin than harming it. Sunlight causes more harm to skin if not protected.

Also Read Answers From: Vitamin C Serum Freckle Brown Spots

What to do for freckles that developed overnight?
Query: Hi doctor,I have developed some brown patches and freckle like spots on my left hand overnight. I went to bed last night with a new light brown freckle on the palm of my hand and woke up this morning to it being darker and there being more freckles and patches. There are a couple of patches on my ri...  Read Full »
Dr. Gaurang Gupta

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. These are not freckles¬†according to the duration of appearance (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Freckles do not come overnight. There are only two possibilities. One is insect bite reaction and the second one is purpura. It is looking like blood colle...  Read Full »

How to get rid of dark circles and frizzy hair?
Query: Hi doctor, I am 17 years old. I have frizzy hair and dark circles.  Read Full »
Dr. Shanza Ikram

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. For dark circles, avoid having stress. Have eight hours of sleep every day. Apply vitamin C serum at night. For frizzy hair, mix one tablespoon of Betamethasone lotion with two tablespoons of olive oil and apply it on the scalp twice a week at night.  Read Full »

How can I get constipation cured?
Query: Hello doctor,I am suffering from constipation for three years. Even after trying a lot of medicines I am not getting it fixed. Please give me the solution.  Read Full »
Dr. Vedprakash Verma
General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Family Physician

Answer: Hello,Welcome to icliniq.com.I have seen all your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), USG reports, blood reports, serum vitamin D reports. All reports are suggestive to be normal. Vitamin D level is also normal. Most probably you are suffering from irritable bowel syndrome. Kin...  Read Full »

Trending

Trending

Ask a Doctor Now