Q. I am vaccinated and I have nasal congestion without fever, cough or headache. Kindly help.

Dr. Rufiat Kazi
and medically reviewed by Dr. Chithranjali Ravichandran
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 08, 2021 and last reviewed on: Jul 09, 2021

I am a 44-year-old male. For the last 20 days, I have nasal congestion. I took steam, Cetrizine and Paracetamol tablet, and Bromhexine twice a day, along with Otrivin nasal spray. But no long-term relief. It reduces congestion when I am outdoor in the heat but comes back when in AC. I never had a cough or headache, or fever, and it is just nasal. I am fully vaccinated 30 days before.

What should I take or do?

Please help.

#

I suggest you stop steam inhalation and Bromhexine. Instead of tablet Cetirizine (antihistamine), I suggest you take tablet Allegra 120 mg (Fexofenadine hydrochloride) once a day in the morning for five days. And please use Nasoclear drops (saline nasal drops) instead of Otrivin.

Take care.

Thank you for responding.

I used a tablet Allegra and Nasoclear drop, but my congestion is not going. It gets relieved almost 50% when I am outside but gets severe when I am inside or when I lay on the bed. Am I allergic to AC? I am also doing saline nebulizing and using Vicks.

Kindly help with your opinion.

#

I suggest you continue tablet Allegra 120 mg (Fexofenadine hydrochloride) once a day for ten days and the Nasoclear drops (saline nasal drops). You may use Vicks for external applications. And it is better to avoid saline nebulization. And yes, the reason could be the AC sometimes. I suggest that you try keeping the AC at 26 degrees celsius and no lesser than that. Also, where do you stay? Have you noticed excessive dust? I think the allergy is more of an indoor factor. You have also mentioned the severity increases when you lay on the bed. Is it in any one particular position that you experience this? Also, I would want to know about any history of similar episodes or history of allergy to food or pets or any miscellaneous item? History of any surgical procedure to the ear, nose, or throat or history of any medications you have been taking? Any previous diagnosis related to the nasal anatomy (a deviated nasal septum in particular)?

I suggest you try this mode of treatment for atleast five to seven days and try eliminating the allergen if you can point it out.

If this does not work, I would recommend you to get a CBC (complete blood count) with an absolute eosinophil count and IgE (Immunoglobulin E) levels. Considering the distress it is causing you, a physical evaluation done by an ENT specialist would be ideal in case the above treatment does not make a difference to your condition.

Take care.

|