Q. I have severe nasal congestion. Can I use Pseudoephedrine and Otrivin together?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 20, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 22 year old girl. I have severe nasal congestion from a suspected cold or sinus infection (I have not been to the doctor yet). When Pseudoephedrine (Sudafed tablets) was not working, the pharmacist suggested to try Otrivin Plus nasal spray. Both give slight relief but I forgot to ask if I can take both together. Is it okay if I take both simultaneously until I can get to my GP?

#

Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. With the details provided, I understand that you are a 22 year old female suffering from cold or sinus infection causing nasal blockage. Currently you are taking Sudafed tablets and Otrivin plus nasal spray. Presuming that the Sudafed tablets you use contains only Pseudoephedrine, I would say that it is perfectly alright to take Sudafed and Otrivin plus together. Both have similar actions and will act to decrease the nasal congestion and relieve the blocked nose. Pseudoephedrine tablets will get absorbed into blood and act systemically. However otrivin nasal spray being sprayed into nasal mucosa will act only locally with very little systemic absorption through the blood vessels. The two compounds have slightly different mechanisms of action as well and use different set of receptors and messengers to bring about their action. You need to worry about their combined action only if you suffer from hypertension or elevated blood pressure. Otherwise till you meet your GP it is fine to take both together. However, do not take Pseudoephedrine more than twice a day in normal strength. If it is maximal strength tablet then take not more than once a day unless advised by your GP. However follow these general instructions till your GP makes a decisive diagnosis and institutes the most appropriate treatment for you.

• Take plenty of hot water (3 to 4 liters daily).
  • After spray of Otrivin plus lie down for 5 minutes and thereafter inhale steam. Repeat this three times per day. Do not take the Otrivin plus spray continuously for more than 4 days as it will cause rebound congestion.
  • Avoid dust/ cold foods/ cold drinks/ smoke/ cold weather.
  • Do not travel and exert yourself a lot.
  • Take nutritious food rich in all vitamins and minerals.
  • After hair wash, dry your hair promptly.

Consult an allergy specialist online for further follow up -->  https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/allergy-specialist

|