Q. I have a pain, swelling and stiffness in my neck. Please suggest a treatment.

Dr. Chandra Prakash Tanwar

I am a 60 year old male weighing 70 kg. I have a swelling at the back of the neck. There is also a neck stiffness and giddiness as if the blood supply to the head reduced. I had sudden stretching at the same point 10 years back and had suffered the same problem for six months then. Volini, muffler and heating pads help reduce the swelling. Lifting or stretching the back of the arms, and turning the head sideways gives a creaking sound but, gives some relief. I have been using the computer for six to seven hours every day for the last 12 years. Please advise medication and a specialist, if any, to consult.

#

You had a sudden stretching of the neck, followed by severe pain 10 years back. Now, you are complaining of the same pain with swelling at the back of the neck with a feeling of giddiness.

• From your description, it seems that there is some sort of an injury to your cervical vertebrae with an involvement of nerves and hence the pain.
  • My suggestion for you would be to see an orthopedician or a neurosurgeon to get a neck X-ray and an MRI of the cervical spine.
  • Until then, you can use a cervical collar, apply Voveran gel (topical Diclofenac), take analgesics like Diclofenac and Paracetamol tablets twice a day after meals and heating pad as you are already using. For the dizziness, you can take tablet Vertin (Betahistine) 16 mg thrice a day.
  • It is now necessary to get those investigations done. The further plan of management would be done only after that.

Thanks and regards.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|